Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

[Patch] Click on touchscreen devices

2009-06-24
2012-12-10
  • Jordi Gimenez
    Jordi Gimenez
    2009-06-24

Hi list,
    I noticed that when using the touchscreen I could not "click" on a button, just select it and then use the "Push" menu option for selecting it. Of course, this is not ideal because it requires a lot of time and attention to make an action (imagine flipping 3 slides during a presentation).
    After some code inspection I realized that one can effectively click on a button but it requires a clean touch at the screen, without even a single pixel movement while touching it. I fixed the code to accept movements within the region of the selected button (just moved the skipPress setting inside the if).

• Jordi Gimenez
      Jordi Gimenez
      2009-06-24

Here comes the patch:
      910c910,911
      <         int ic = getButton(x,y);
      ---
      >            
      >         skipPress = true;
      911a913
      >         int ic = getButton(x,y);
      913d914
      <             skipPress = true;

• Jordi Gimenez
      Jordi Gimenez
      2009-06-24

Sorry, I did not realize I was sending the patch in a bad format. Here comes a good one:
      --- anyremote-j2me-client-4.17/src/ControlForm.java    2009-06-19 07:32:22.000000000 +0200
      +++ anyremote-j2me-client-4.17.patched/src/ControlForm.java    2009-06-24 21:31:26.000000000 +0200
      @@ -907,11 +907,10 @@
           }

public void pointerDragged (int x, int y) {
      -           
      -        skipPress = true;
      -       
               int ic = getButton(x,y);
      +       
               if (ic >= 0 && curIcon != ic) {
      +            skipPress = true;
                       curIcon = ic;
                   drawScreen();
                }

• Mike
      Mike
      2009-06-25

thanks a lot!
      i'm going to add patch to the next release

• Mike
      Mike
      2009-07-02

v4.18 of java client with this patch was released

• Kyle Amadio
      Kyle Amadio
      2009-07-28

HI Mike - is this suitable for say a Nokia 5800 - its a Symbian 60 phone.
      This device has a real big screen - and the phone puts an additional set of buttons onto the screen. Its a bit messy - I'll send you an image

• Jordi Gimenez
        Jordi Gimenez
        2009-07-28

Hi kyleamadio,
        I made the patch using a Nokia 5800, so I can tell it works for sure.
        I recommend to install anyremote-64b.jar file in this phone, as it provides big enough buttons so you do not need use the pen.

• Jordi Gimenez
      Jordi Gimenez
      2009-07-28

@kyleamadio: "the phone puts an additional set of buttons onto the screen"

I now see maybe you need to disable the phone keyboard. It's in the phone config.
      Go to Menu > Adjustments > Applications > Installed applications > anyRemote. Options > Package adjustments > On-screen keyboard -> disabled.

• Maurizio Berti
    Maurizio Berti
    2009-09-21

I tried the 4.18 just a couple of times (see my report in the help forum), and I still feel that it's hard to press buttons and be sure they're pressed using your fingers. I noticed a strange behaviour of the touch interface, you can see it expecially when scrolling text in special menus (like all-in-one): the movement on the screen is bigger than the real one. This could be a problem, because even if you use 64x64 buttons, using thumbs means that with a small movement of your fingers you are already moving out the active button area. Is it possible that this is because of the small area of screen used by anyRemote? I noticed similar problems with other java apps written for smaller devices: even if they are touch compatible, sometimes it's still hard to push in the right point. BTW, besides of this &quot;misalignment&quot;, can you also release a special version of the client with really big buttons? I think that 96x96 should be perfect for this kind of devices. 
    About that, I have a feature request, maybe others would agree. Since we are using a really big touch screen, we could also enjoy not only big buttons, but also *more* buttons! We don't have a joypad (and sometimes I really miss it) and this makes some cfg files unusable. But what about totally customizable interface? We could have how many buttons we want, of any kind of shape (maybe a sort of skinning, also), also slide bars for volume or time seeking. I know that this is not so easy for the client (but I'm sure it's possible, I already tried a lot of java apps well developed for touch screens) nor for the server, so I wouldn't blame you if you're not going to do this… But I think that it would be *great* to have a fully customizable touch screen remote control, don't you agree? :-) 
    Thanks, 
    Maurizio