two feature suggestions

Nisse
2009-02-10
2012-12-10
  • Nisse
    Nisse
    2009-02-10

I'd like to discuss two feature suggestions with you:

1. One of many stupid design decisions with my phone (a Nokia E70) make it necessary to browse to the app and getting to use the remote would require one button press less if it was possible to set a default connection that is opened when the app is started instead of having to choose the only one when it starts unconnected. Could that feature be implemented in the next version?

2. Wouldn't it be neat if the app could pause or mute (preferably user configurable) any player that is playing when a phone call comes?

• Mike
      Mike
      2009-02-10

>1. default connection that is opened when the app is started
      What user will do in this case if he/she wants to add second address ?

>2. Wouldn't it be neat if the app could pause or mute when a phone call comes?
      Definetely. This feature is already exists (But not all the phones supports this possibility).
      Please read for details:
      http://anyremote.sourceforge.net/ev-handlers.html

• Nisse
      Nisse
      2009-02-10

>>1. default connection that is opened when the app is started
      >What user will do in this case if he/she wants to add second address ?

Couldn't that be made possible via an additional menu entry?

• Mike
        Mike
        2009-02-10

>>1. default connection that is opened when the app is started 
        >What user will do in this case if he/she wants to add second address ?
        :Couldn't that be made possible via an additional menu entry?
        If connection will be done automatically, then there are no
        place for any menu :-)

• Nisse
      Nisse
      2009-02-10

I have to get back to question 2: What exactly is it that prevents it from working? I did some simple experimenting with the config files and could conclude that it doesn't work on my E70. However, (at least some) games do manage to pause properly when the phone rings and shouldn't it thus be doable in this case too?

• Mike
        Mike
        2009-02-10

>could conclude that it doesn't work on my E70.
        >What exactly is it that prevents it from working?
        Please, post here:
        1. what You have done ? what was added to cfg.file ?
        2. i can work improperly because it was not tested on E70 :-)
        if You have a spare time to test i can create some "debug" version
        of java client and try to fix issue step-by-step. just send an e-mail
        to anyremote at mail.ru

• Nisse
      Nisse
      2009-02-11

For testing purposes, I modified /usr/share/anyremote/cfg-data/Server-mode/amarok.cfg in two ways:
      First I made simple test, set key 3 (IIRC) like this:

3=Exec(kdialog --msgbox "Test")

and indeed I got the dialog when I pressed 3 on my phone. Then I tried adding

(InCall)=Exec(kdialog --msgbox "Incoming call")

to the file, after (Connect)=Set(parameter,... since when I searched for some example where to put it, I found it there in kaffeine-v2.cfg

I presume that it should then have worked when the phone rang (and I answered it too just to test).

Now, as far as testing is concerned - I have another phone so I can call this one but at the moment I'm using the mess that is called KDE 4.2. It's so buggy that it cannot transfer files to the phone via bluetooth (it's a known bug, fixed in 4.3 AFAIK). Thus testing is a bit troublesome for me at the moment since I have to download the jar from the site with my phone's browser every time I want to test a different version (I have, however, done it several times due to the icon problem that I've described in the help forum). I really love this app so I can test it a few times but I cannot promise to endure lots of testing due to the file transfer method I have to resort to now (there's no cost involved, though, since my plan covers unlimited transfer).

• Mike
        Mike
        2009-02-11

Have You tried to download *jar files from g/kAnyRemote ?
        Actually there are several tools to do that job. Have You tried bluetooth-sendto ?

• Mike
          Mike
          2009-02-11

I've got one more idea... drop e-mail to anyremote at mail.ru
          and i send to You patched version of *jar

• Nisse
      Nisse
      2009-02-11

I might add that I just tried with running it with kaffeine-v2.cfg (I hadn't bothered to install kaffeine before) and a call didn't do anything. This was just to make sure that there wasn't something else in kaffeine-v2.cfg that was necessary. The description on the homepage regarding events, is IMO fairly good so it seems to me that it's relatively simple in the cfg files. However, I do have a recollection that there was something on www.j2meforums.com about how pausing isn't a trivial task even though it should be. I'll see if I can find out something more.