Help for Spatially variable ranifall

Help
ambuj
2012-09-13
2013-06-05
  • ambuj
    ambuj
    2012-09-13

I am trying to model over a very large scale (country level) and I need to incorporate spatially varied rainfall. If I do it manually by defining separate polygons, it takes too much time. Can someone please help me and guide me about the process for applying temporal and spatial rainfall data to elevation model. Also, can I update 'stage' with rainfall (depth) if I am working on dry bed without considering any existing stream or river network.

• Ole Nielsen
    Ole Nielsen
    2012-09-18

Hi there

Thanks for you questions. It has always been the plan to incorporate spatially variable rainfall in addition to the polygon method. One way to do this would be to create a new quantity at every timestep with the new rainfall and add it to the stage quantity. This will work fine on dry land too. To see how you might go about creating and adding quantities, checkout the functionality for variable elevation - although it applies to a different quantity it should be the same general idea. Happy to discuss further…

• ambuj
    ambuj
    2012-09-24

thanks uniomni for your reply. I tried to simplify by not incorporating the time variation but still I am getting errors. I tried to add rainfall values to the elevation values to get initial stage. But the problem is: I want to add rainfall values at certain coordinates not the whole domain, so at the dry coordinates, stage = elevation. But how I should do it by writing a command. Is there any way to add a .csv with x,y, rainfall(mm) to the whole dem file considering the fact that the table containing rainfall values does not include the coordinates of domain where there is no rainfall data.