OpenBasic error in 'Reading exceeds EOF'

2011-01-16
2012-09-14
  • Graham Cripps
    Graham Cripps
    2011-01-16

I have installed and run Anaphraseus on three different systems, two Linux
    (Ubuntu 10,10) and Windows XP. In each case I get the error message -
    OpenBasic error in 'Reading exceeds EOF' - when I try and setup a translation
    memory. I do not know how many others have had this problem but here is a
    workaround, that worked for me in Windows and Ubuntu. You have to delete the
    'anaphraseus' from your Home folder in Ubuntu and the Documents and Settings
    folder in Windows.

In Ubuntu (Linux):

1. When the error message appears click OK and close OpenOffice
    2. From the Places menu (top right of screen) open the Home folder, you should see a house shape with your user name, double click it.
    3. From the list of folders find one called .openoffice.org - if you cannot see it, go to the view menu and click 'Show hidden folders' - now double click to open it.
    4. Double click to open the '3' and then the 'user' folders.
    5. Find the folder 'anaphraseus' and delete it. (Select it and hit the Del button)
    6. Restart Openoffice. Now when you try and initiate a translation memory you may be told a folder is missing, answer yes to creating a new one and you should be good to go.

In Windows:

1. When the error message appears click OK and close OpenOffice.
    2. Open windows Explorer for all users. Find and open the 'Documents and Settings' folder on the main drive (usually C).
    3. Find the directory with your user name and open it.
    4. Open the folder 'Application Data'. If you cannot see it go to the menu 'Tools' and select 'Folder Options', then in the tab 'View', under advanced settings find the option 'Show hidden files and folders' and activate it, then click OK.
    5. Once in the folder 'Application Data' find the folder 'Openoffice.org' and open it.
    6. Open the '3' and then the 'user' folders.
    7. Find the folder 'anaphraseus' and delete it. (Select it and hit the Del button)
    8. Restart Openoffice. Now when you try and initiate a translation memory you may be told a folder is missing, answer yes to creating a new one and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem.