Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

The keys to the ALSA Kingdom

Help
longship
2006-03-31
2013-06-03
  • longship
    longship
    2006-03-31

Why is asoundrc such a mystery?  What do the various functions in this mystery file accomplish?

One reads and reads and reads and one is no closer to solution than before one began.

What in the Sam Hell is a "ttable"?  And how does one determine what "ttable" for a specific card?

Where is all this stuff documented?

I've been using Linux for over a decade and I can't figure this out.  I use Sendmail every day.  Even it isn't a mystery.  At least there's a very good book.

I have an M-Audio sound card and I'd like to think that one could learn to configure it, but it seems that I may have to learn to do write ALSA internals before I'll learn how to do something as configuring a sound card with ALSA.

This situation sucks incredibly.  Where are the tutorials?  Where are the HowTo's?  Where are some concrete, documented examples?

• Stephan
      Stephan
      2006-03-31

Have a look at http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stephan

• longship
        longship
        2006-03-31

Yes, I've seen that.  I understand the syntax of the file.  But the one thing the documentation does not do is walk one through the process of finding out precisely what one goes through to find out what features are available on a specific card and how that correlates to the asoundrc file.  That connection is missing.

In other words, it's no good to know the syntax if one does not know how to apply it.