Menu

documentation, wiki, faq, help? where?

damasko
2008-02-01
2013-05-01
  • damasko

damasko - 2008-02-01

Hello, first of all, thanks for the Alliance software, you've done a good job!
    But where is some kind of docs? I can't find anything.
    How can I configure it? Which ports have I to forward on my router?

• maciek

maciek - 2008-03-08

There's not much documentation out there. I would really need help with this. Anyone? =)

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2008-03-13

I'm up for doing docs and maintaining the site if you're offering Maciek. As long as you program the client :P.

• maciek

maciek - 2008-03-13

I'll take care of the client, don't you worry about that! =)

It would be really great if you'd like to help out with the docs. Alliance really needs it. I think these two documents are the most important right now:

1) Introduction to Alliance
        What is Alliance? How does it work? What is a friend-2-friend network? Why is it safe? Here it's important to explain that you need to join an existing network or create one for Alliance to work. It would also be nice to illustrate that one user can download a file from several other users simultaneously. It would be awesome to have illustrations of how a network is built. Starting from two users building up to many friends and friends of friends. I have contacts with skilled graphics artists so if you make sketches of the illustrations I'll make sure they'll look good. =)

2) FAQ
        Create an Alliance FAQ. A good idea might be to go through the forums and find the .. most frequently asked questions. =)

If you're interested in this you can start writing and send me drafts and we'll work something out together!

The documentation would need to be sent to me and I'll upload it to the site. If, in a month or two, it turns out that you are serious about this and commited I'll give you access to the website so that you can make the updates.

This would be of great help for Alliance.

/Maciek

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2008-03-14

It would be nice if I had a direct way to contact you other then by SF e-mail. If you can, send me a message with your e-mail in it or MSN/AIM/yahoo name.

I'll get started on the things you listed above. The "getting started with Alliance is basically done." I had to make one for the group I was in, in order to help them connect and use alliance. So I can modify it a bit and send it to you when ready.

Oh also since your working on Alliance again be sure to read over the suggestions page http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1830056&forum_id=568436 we where talking about before. Allot of that stuff should be programmed in/fixed.

• maciek

maciek - 2008-03-14

Excellent. I've sent you a private message.

I've looked over the suggestions and put them in my todo - no worries! =)

• Kevin

Kevin - 2011-07-02

I cannot find a help file any where, is that still not been done? Or am i just  missing it some where?

Thx

• Trent Larson

Trent Larson - 2011-07-02

The new beta may be a better option; the front page has a link to the "latest stable beta" which has a wiki and other items: http://code.google.com/p/alliancep2pbeta/

For this older version, this forum is the best place for help because people can answer your specific questions.  How do you need help?

• Trent Larson

Trent Larson - 2011-07-02

BTW, do us a favor and ask your question in a new thread and not in this one.

Cheers!