Reposting my forum posting <https://sourceforge.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=4408> as a tracker item, now that the new tracker has replaced the old one:
So today, I finally had a chance to try out the spiffy new "Mark as duplicate" feature. Sadly, it seems to only close the item, and added a pre-made text to it as comment. At least as far as I could tell. That's pretty useless, IMO. It didn't even set the "Resolution" to "Duplicate" :-(.
What I *really* would want from such a feature is this:
* Add a canned response, possibly similar to the one you use right now
* Change the resolution state to "duplicate"
* Delete (not close) the item (though closing is fine by me, too)
* Add a canned comment to the *other* tracker item (the "original" one), saying something like "Item #1234 was closed a duplicate of this item"
* Most importantly, in both of these "canned" responses, the item ID should be a hyperlink so that I can just click on it to get to the original/duplicate item.
Also: What is the purpose of the "Reason:" field, I wonder? The reason, obviously, is that the item is a duplicate, so why this field? I always either leave it blank (which leads to a somewhat weird looking canned comment, saying "Reason:" ) or enter "duplicate". IMO, you should either get rid of it, or at least make it so that leaving it empty is handled nicely.