How to select a tab with javascript:

2011-12-23
2013-01-31
  • Fabiano Zara
    Fabiano Zara
    2011-12-23

Hello everybody,
    is it possibile to select a tab using javascript postFunction  ?
    Thanks in advance.

• 1. Tab with <ajax:tab id="…" defaultTab="true" /> will be selected automatically. Isn't this what you need?
    2. postFunction in ajax:tabPanel tag is invoked only after AJAX request, and request is issued after click on tab, so this tab is already selected. Or you need to select another tab?

• Fabiano Zara
    Fabiano Zara
    2011-12-27

Yes, I need to select another tab after executing an ajax update field request: if  update is ok I need to select a tab. I think that I have to write some code in the  postFunction's update field tag , but I don't know how !
    Tanks.

• OK, I understood your question.

1. You can write JavaScript code in preFunction, postFunction and errorFunction as follows:
    <ajax:sometag …
      preFunction="function() { /* your code goes here, return string "cancel" to abort request */ }"
      postFunction="function(response) { /* your code goes here, also you have access to AJAX response */ }"
      errorFunction="function(response) { /* your code goes here, also you have access to AJAX response */ }"
    />

2. There are several ways to activate tab "tab1" from JavaScript for given JSP example (insignificant details omitted):
    <ajax:tabPanel eventType="click" … ><%- switching tabs on click event (default) -%>
      <ajax:tab id="tab1" … /><%- this tab will have id "tab1" to simplify access from script -%>
    </ajax:tabPanel>

a) fire/simulate event (this requires additional event simulation library) on anchor (<A> element) in desired tab:
      $("tab1").down("a").simulate("click");

b) directly call event handler (onclick for eventType="click", onmouseover for eventType="mouseover" - you've got the idea):
      $("tab1").down("a").onclick();

c) remember tab panel script in some variable and call execute() - the JSP example should be modified:
    <ajax:tabPanel var="tabPanel1" eventType="click" … >
      <ajax:tab id="tab1" … />
    </ajax:tabPanel>
    In JavaScript will be created object with name tabPanel1, and you can invoke:
      tabPanel1.execute($("tab1").down("a"));

P.S. Which version of ajaxtags are you using?

• Fabiano Zara
    Fabiano Zara
    2011-12-28

Great!.
    The b) option works fine with IE Explorer but it doesn't  with Google Chrome: it is not a problem for now.
    The Chrome's version is 16.0.912.63.
    The c) option goes to crash, this is the error:

JSPG0123E:impossible to get  info about  var tag attribute.

it seems that the statement 'var=' is not recognized. I'm using    the 1.5.6 version of ajaxtags.

Thanks very much for the support!

• > The b) option works fine with IE Explorer but it doesn't  with Google Chrome

Strange enough… it should work. Can you give additional info? Can you execute in console of Chrome's Web Inspector on your test page this line of code (tab1 - your tab identifier) and give me results:
    $$("#tab1 a")

> The c) option goes to crash

You are right, "var" attribute was added to ajax:tabPanel only in 1.5.7-SNAPSHOT - try to use this version.

• Fabiano Zara
    Fabiano Zara
    2011-12-29

This is the result  ("010" is my tag ID)

>$$("#010 a");

When I execute  '$("010").down("a").onclick();' statement inside the HTML page  ,
    the Chrome's  console give me this:
    Uncaught Error: SYNTAX_ERR: DOM Exception 12
    Class.create.findElements prototype.js:3525
    Object.extend.findChildElements prototype.js:4112
    Element.Methods.select prototype.js:2256
    Element.Methods.down prototype.js:2225
    _methodized prototype.js:431
    (anonymous function) javascript.jsp:68

• Accordingly to standards identifier cannot start with a digit - this is a cause of error. You should prepend numbers in your identifiers with some prefix, e.g. $("tab010").down("a").onclick(); should work

• Fabiano Zara
    Fabiano Zara
    2012-01-09

You are right! Now it  works fine.
    Thank you very much.