Aironet 350 PCI Adapter w/ RedHat 7.1?

Anonymous
2001-06-29
2001-07-18

• Anonymous
    2001-06-29

Hi All:

I recently purchased an Aironet 350 PCI card for a desktop machine running RedHat 7.1.

I've tried building airo.o using the PCMCIA services with a 2.4.3 kernel as well as building the module using the standalone PCMCIA services with a 2.4.5 kernel.

Either way, the result is pretty much the same.  I can "insmod airo.o" just fine and find the expected files in "/proc/driver/aironet/eth1".   However, the Config file shows a value of "Error" for "Mode", "PowerMode", and "Modulation"; and the adapter is unresponsive.

I've tried the adapter in a Windoze 2K desktop system to confirm that the card does, in fact, work.

I would certainly welcome any advice.

Thanks.

• Anonymous
      2001-07-02

Cisco now has drivers for the 340/350 wireless adapters on their website.  Seem to work OK. 
      Even has ACU to setup the cards...
      www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux

• Anonymous
      2001-07-02

Thanks much for the tip.  I had previously tried (among other things) the AitoLinuxV10002 software from the CD that came with the adapter.

I just now installed the pre-compiled modules from the AIROLINUXv15000 downloaded from cisco's WWW site.  Unfortunately, I get the same result ("Error" value for "Mode", "PowerMode", and "Modulation" in the Config file).

Could it be an issue with the PCI adapter as opposed to a PCMCIA card?

Has anyone else had success using a PCI adapter?

Thanks.

• Anonymous
      2001-07-05

I've found that I have no problem getting the PCI adapter working with RedHat 7.1 in an old Compaq desktop machine.  The other two RedHat 7.1 systems that I had tried previously are both HP Pavillion 8000 series (although they are slightly different models).

There appears to be some sort of conflict/incompatability between the Aironet adapter and the PCI bus of these HP systems.  I'm not sure whether the issue is OS-dependent (i.e., I haven't tried to use the adapter in either of these two machines with an OS other than RedHat 7.1).

I would like to use the Aironet card in the HP system which is my server/router, but I guess that issue is for a different forum.

Thanks.

• Ken
      Ken
      2001-07-18

I had trouble getting my RedHat kernel source to work when trying to compile the aironet driver. I needed a pci version for an LRP box running a 2.2.16 kernel (a homemade workgroup bridge - cisco want's $500 for one that supports 8 ips!). I wasn't worried about pcmcia card support.

To get a pci card driver for aironet 350 cards that I could use with LRP, here's what I did:

clean, full install slackware 7 (2.2.16 kernel) on an old pc.

download, untar to /usr/src, and make config, make all, make install the pcmcia-cs-3.1.27 package from ftp://projects.sourceforge.net/pub/pcmcia-cs/

download and install the AIROLINUXv15000.tar.gz from cisco's site
      http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux
      untar and run the cwinstall script, giving it the location of the pcmcia package.
      follow the instructions to recompile the pcmcia package again...

This gives you a good airo.o in /lib/modules/2.2.16/pcmcia for 2.2.16 kernels that supports the cisco utilities and the 350 series pci cards.

copy this file to an msdos floppy, boot lrp, mount the floppy (mount -t /dev/fd0 /mnt) and copy the airo.o file to /lib/modules. backup your lrp disk and reboot!

This should work for pcmcia card support too, since I didn't see any errors when compiling, but I didn't try it.