Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

AdvanceMAME Sound/Keyboard in DOS

J. Rank
2009-05-20
2013-05-20
  • J. Rank
    J. Rank
    2009-05-20

Hey, all.

I'm trying to put together an advmame machine on an old 300 MHz Pentium II machine.  Things are going well; I've installed Windows 98 and got the Windows version working fine.

In an attempt to squeeze a little more performance out of it, I'm now attempting to get the pure DOS version working.  I had everything working great minus sound, which was an adventure.  I eventually got the sound working using the onboard audio (can't seem to get it to work with the PCI cards I have laying around), but now there's a problem: If I enable sound, it works fine, but it disables my keyboard!

Both the (USB) keyboard and audio work in DOS together, and if I set device_sound to none, the games work fine with no sound.  But as soon as I set the sound to a valid device, I can load the game, but the keyboard is totally disabled.  This configuration also does not provide a log file with the -log option (guessing it writes the log at the end, since I can't actually close MAME with no keyboard...)

Anybody else seen this, or have any ideas??  It's just strange to me that it's doing this.  I have the same problem using a PS/2 keyboard, by the way...

• tkb101
      tkb101
      2009-05-21

in your bios, set "PNP OS" to NO.

how are you getting into DOS? if you use command prompt from windows, then the windows pnp configurator mucks up the settings and shares IRQ between USB and your audio device. DOS does not like that. boot directly to dos and try again.

• J. Rank
      J. Rank
      2009-05-21

I've got that set already...

What I'm actually doing is booting Windows 98, but in msdos.sys I have BootGui set to 0.

That answer actually makes more sense than anything I could think of... I guess that means two more questions:

1. Are there any other settings I should know about to make this not happen?
      2. Is there any way to see which devices are assigned to which IRQs?

• J. Rank
      J. Rank
      2009-05-21

UPDATE:

It's the IRQ issue.  I found a small piece of software called SwapIRQ, which allows you to switch the IRQ that a device uses.  I changed my sound card from 7 to 5, and everything worked correctly.

Unfortunately, SwapIRQ requires a license after 30 days, and I'm cheap.  I figured I could change it by hand, and this is what I did:

-- Change C:\SBPCI\sbpci.ini to list port 5 for IRQ and SBIRQ (instead of 7)
      -- Change autoexec.bat to set I5 in the SET BLASTER variable
      -- Restart

And the result is... success!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!