Reconnect/Connection loss

Help
2012-03-05
2013-05-30
  • Larry Wright
    Larry Wright
    2012-03-05

Hi Everyone,
    I'm using the Ethernet/IP driver only. I'm setting it up on a second thread to run in the background. I'm using the version 3.21 with a Micrologix 1400. I'm very happy with its operation but I'm hoping to add a function that will allow the software to reconnect if it gets disconnected. There is a couple of instances were the software disconnects do to power problems or a bad connection and I have to restart the software to reconnect.
    Is there a way to detect the connection and have the software try to reconnect automatically?
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Larry

• Leo
    Leo
    2012-04-03

I am curious, is this the only problem that you are having with 3.21? By using a heartbeat type function and polling on/off, is potentially  1 way. I am looking also into changing the "Try/Finally" code that traps the error condition.

• Hi.

I'm having the same problems. It cannot reconnect to a PLC, if it loses network connectivity (PCL is switched off or another network-related issue).

I have tried to destroy the PLC-object (dispose method), but it never unloads the DLL-driver and the DLL-driver cannot reconnect on its own.

Could the DLL-driver become more fault-tolerant or could we get a way of closing/reinitialising the DLL-driver?

Best regards
    Claus

• michele
    michele
    2012-04-19

Same problem here, it's causing a lot of troubles when it disconnects. We have to shutdown and restart the application all the times.

• michele
    michele
    2012-05-07

I reproduced the error in laboratory with a long ethernet cable (40 meters) between PLC and switch.
    The driver never disconnects and seems to go in a loop.
    Hope it helps.