licence

Help
2013-05-14
2013-05-30
  • Larry Wright
    Larry Wright
    2013-05-14

I have a question about  usage.

I noticed that the licence agreement in the faq says "The DLLs can be distributed with projects, but can not be separated to be used in applications other than AdvancedHMI. ". What constitues a AdvancedHMI application. What percentage of the program has to be Advanced HMI code? Why say it can be distributed with projects? if the Advanced HMI program required the dll how would you ever be able to use it without it? It seems to me it should say "Do not distribute the dll separately".

I think I really just don't understand usage. I was under the impression that this code could be used as long as All of the Advanced HMI distribution was included and the project source is available for the end user to view, use.

Can someone clarify what requirements have to be meet to distribute a application containing Advanced HMI code if it is proper at all. I would prefer that only the source utilizing the Advanced HMI Code be open, if its possible to do under the agreement.

Thank you for any help,  Larry

• Archie
    Archie
    2013-05-14

Basically you cannot take the PLC communication drivers from the project and use them in another software package. The same applies to the visual controls and any other parts of the package.

As a complete package, it is under the GPL license which means when you build an application and distribute it, then you must distribute the complete package with source code, including anything that you add to it.

Also you cannot use the software to develop an HMI development package under another name.

• Larry Wright
    Larry Wright
    2013-05-14

Thank you,

I downloaded the code and found the usage and licence.txt file.

I have basically done exactly what you have specified in the usage and licence file.

I have a few follow up questions…

I have references to purchased software that is closed source. My code is worthless without it. I can't include the purchased software without buying a licence. I include all of my code but obviously can't include what I don't have. Is this acceptable?

Do I only have to share the source with those I choose to distribute the project too?

Can I charge for the software that I include my source and the Advanced HMI? In the condition I distribute it could be copied. What if the customer has the source and can modify but the software includes a run time lock like a hasp dongle or Key, or hardware requirement to run?

please forgive my ignorance. Its hard for me to make sense of the way everything works together.

Larry

• Archie
    Archie
    2013-05-14

The license for AdvancedHMI is driven by it's market strategy and protection of reputation. It is marketed as what we call a self proliferating software. When you distribute an application it is important the end user knows what was used to develop the application so they can potentially become a user. Since we give the software away for free, it is important to us to have an ever growing user base because it is requests for customized components and training that generate the income to keep the software continuing to be supported.

The other part of the motivation is the reputation of the software. AdvancedHMI is intended to be a direct competitor to products like a PanelView. With a Panelview the end user or the next engineer can come along upload the program and make modifications. When that is not possible, it leaves the next person frustrated and with a bad impression of the software. So in order to avoid this situation, that is where it is necessary to distribute the complete project with source code.

If you have 3rd party references, then exceptions can be made. You can email me at the support email on the web site and I can send you an email for your records allowing you to stray slightly from the licensing.

• Larry Wright
    Larry Wright
    2013-05-17

Thank you,

This will guide me in the use of your code.

Larry