the "special" character problem

admarch
2005-09-18
2013-04-15
  • admarch
    admarch
    2005-09-18

I've seen several posts regarding the problem of "special characters" (nothing special about them: it's just what the non-english speaking world uses).

I also ran into this problem when working on a spanish language database.

My solution is similar to geekyde's, and I'm tempted to say may be more encompassing.
    As did geekyde, I also changed line sqlite3.cs line 74's "_encoding.UTF8", but to "_encoding.default".
    According to .net documentation, using "default" gets the system's current ANSI code page.

For some reason I can't recall now, I also had to change utils.cs line 178 from

public MarshalStr (String str) : this(Encoding.Default,str)

to

public MarshalStr (String str) : this(Encoding.ASCII,str)

Hope this helps. It did in my case and I gather it will for any western language. If I take the "system's current" code page phrase literally, I suppose it'll do the trick for any language.

• admarch
      admarch
      2005-09-18

Errata:

In the utils.cs, the change is exactly the other way round. Damn cut and paste

• Dear admarch,

Ive make this changes over the files. But im getting the same problem. Some characters arent showed.Im using a spanish characters.

The connection string must be changed?.

Can you give me more instructions or can you send me a dll file with this changes applied.?

My email direction is rbolos@telefonica.net

Thanks in advance.