Window and Door Vertical

2012-01-07
2013-03-07
  • looking for partner to integrate OpenJanela with Adempiere.
    OpenJanela.com  is a java based Visual Configurator for the Window and Door Industry (manufacturing and Distributors)
    large Vertical world wide.
    Simple integration (possibly)

• Hi,

Product Configuration will be more than usefull for ADempiere.
    What are the options for integration of OpenJanela?
    Can OpenJanel export BOM of the confgiured product?
    What about sycnhonization of products?

Regards,
    Trifon

• @OpenJanela,

you have correctly posted in Business and Marketing.
    From your site i do no see way any way to download your program, either binary or source code.

If you ever wish something to be intergated with ADempeire then please make sure that application is atleast downloadable.

Trifon

• True the downloads are not yet available because of 2 points:
    1. the database part is not yet complete as we are waiting for waiting for some decisions. Currently we put all SQL in the Java code and use MySQL through JDBC.
    2. We have an old stable version but with proprietary configurator, and a new - Open Source - configurator
    so excuse the mess sort of speak, Things are a little in chaos right now, but should be cleared up in a few weeks.

But it is the right time to discuss the integration.
    If you are interested in getting an integration done, I would be happy to share what we currently have with you.
    I would prefer to have a client finance the integration.

As to you first comments:
    1. Options of integrations: We see Adempiere calling OpenJanela with CustomerID, userID  and Openjanela taking over the configuration process.
    2. OpenJanela output back to Adempiere : Generic product number describing the product family (for example) and either a complete BOM or simply an ID of BOM so that Adempiere can read it from OpenJanela DB.
    3. There are some more pressing issues like Routing (which is also configured), Capacities, etc.
    4. Production Launch - The industry does some unique things.
    5. Inventory, in some segments of the industry there are some unique issues like Custom (configured) raw materials so the inventory number can be unique and never before encountered.

These are the main issues, but I think an Adempiere Partner can get this customized for the vertical.

• Forgot to mention,
    OpenJanela is Swing based - mainly due to the Visual configurator part. So it will need to be run as an applet in a web based environment.

Also we are not programmers, we are "subject matter experts" with lots of experience in selling software to the Vertical so we may not know the proper etiquette of collaborating with Adempiere .

• Hi OpenJanela,

As to you first comments:
    1. Options of integrations: We see Adempiere calling OpenJanela with CustomerID, userID  and Openjanela taking over the configuration process.
    2. OpenJanela output back to Adempiere : Generic product number describing the product family (for example) and either a complete BOM or simply an ID of BOM so that Adempiere can read it from OpenJanela DB.
    3. There are some more pressing issues like Routing (which is also configured), Capacities, etc.
    4. Production Launch - The industry does some unique things.
    5. Inventory, in some segments of the industry there are some unique issues like Custom (configured) raw materials so the inventory number can be unique and never before encountered.

ADempiere being ERP system must have the leading role in master data management. This means that all products must be defined in ADempiere or ADempiere must be able to import all product definitions from OpenJanel before importing BOMs.

For me first and most important step in ADempiere and OpenJanel integration would be to make both system exchange products. Here integrator must take into account that ADempiere is mutli-tenants system. This means that product with the same Product Number can exists into multiple tenants in ADempiere. I'm not sure how is OpenJanel regarding multitenancy?

ADempiere is very integrated system. This means that a product can't not be used in production before it has cost and qty. on hand.

Regards,
    Trifon

• Openjanela also is a Multi-Tenant system, with many manufacturers/Clients residing in the same DB or linked DBs.

Some explanations about the Vertical:

1. "System" or "Series" are defined as a product Family using similar raw materials to build an unlimited number of configurations, which include sizes (overall and Internal) as well as such options as colors and hardware.

In effect even if a final product is of the same family there are so many variables that it makes it impossible to create a unique "Stock Codes: for every variation.

solutions:

1. Make a "Family" Stock code, and somehow making it possible that at the time of Ordering, that Family Stock code adopts a unique BOM imported from OpenJanela.

2. In Many ERP systems there is the notion of Non-Stocked Finished Goods. Those non-stocked items are actually products that do not normally exit in Inventory, are either made or ordered specifically for a particular job.   Does this exist in Adempiere?

3. the interface has to create a new stock code in Adempier for every line item in every order… Maintenance nightmare.

Similarly the issue of Non-Stocked raw materials:

In many occasions, specially with Wood and aluminum products, bit more in wood, the re a need to create a new component that has the same function as something that already exists in stock, but maybe with a slightly different dimension, making the part unique. OpenJanela can handle this during the configuration process, and in OpenJanela inventory control, which do not want develop anymore, such an item is created with a new stock code, is requisitioned for manufacturing, it is received in Inventory,  and  made available for production of the finished item.
    I expect Adempiere will do the same thing, somehow we need to trigger/ build  new stock code in Adempiere and create the necessary requisitions for it.

• In summary:

In OpenJanela, Finished good do not have Stock Numbers, everyone is Custom made and is never stocked (there are some exceptions to the rule In the USA where they build windows to Stock for Big Box stores like Home Depot) But it is very rare anywhere else int he world… and many are moving to JIT type production (and if they are not they should!)

OpenJanela allows for Custom stock codes for raw materials - the Stock code itself is customised during order entry, by allowing wild cards on the original stock code for example:

ABC@$^  can become ABC|Blue Outside |18mm Wide| Reed on the inside   where @ is the Outside color,  $ is dimension, ^ is inside color.

• 1. "System" or "Series" are defined as a product Family using similar raw materials to build an unlimited number of configurations, which include sizes (overall and Internal) as well as such options as colors and hardware.

ADempiere has similar functionality. In ADempiere it is called Attributes and Attribute Sets. Every Product can have unlimted number of Attributes, like Color, Size, Material type, so on. Attrbiutes are grouped together in Attributes Sets.
    When users sell product he can choose which are the attributes for the specific sale.
    It is not necessary to create stocke codes for every variation, but codes of Attrbiutes must be the same in both systems.

ADempiere also supports non stocked products. Problem is not if product is stocked or not stocked but to import proper product and Attrbiute from the Product configurer.

Regards,
    Trifon

• "ADempiere also supports non stocked products"  

This could be the answer.  But need more info:
    During Order Entry, if a non Stocked item is ordered, does it carry a BOM? Can this BOM be edited/input? if so then the solution simple.

While most attributes can be mapped from OpenJanela to Adempiere, there are 2 that cause problems:
    1. Color (which can be any variation)  and 2. Size, which have Unlimited Widths and Heights and internal splits.

I am sure there is a way, where there is a will.

I think the best approach is to find a common customer.

• maybe if we can connect on Skype I can show you a bot on OpenJanela to understand what it does. My Skype is openjanela  or sherif_eldibani

• During Order Entry, if a non Stocked item is ordered, does it carry a BOM?

Yes. Non Stocked product can carry BOM.

Can this BOM be edited/input? if so then the solution simple.

It is not necessary to edit the BOM. ADempiere can import BOM from ProductConfigurator and use it in the Manufacturing Order.

While most attributes can be mapped from OpenJanela to Adempiere, there are 2 that cause problems:
    1. Color (which can be any variation)

Product Attrbiutes in ADempiere support 3 different data types:
    - List with predefined values
    - Integer value
    - String value

and 2. Size, which have Unlimited Widths and Heights and internal splits.

Size have to be split into its dimensions: Width and Height or as many dimensions it has, then this dimensions can be recorded as int attributes.

I have seen requirements for ProductConfigurators in the past for house manufacturing company and i currently have project for which i'm extending existing Product BOM configurator in ADempiere. Biggest challenge which i face now is proper handling of component dependencies.

Regards,
    Trifon

• Yes. Non Stocked product can carry BOM. + It is not necessary to edit the BOM. ADempiere can import BOM from ProductConfigurator and use it in the Manufacturing Order.

This is the solution.  OpenJanela create a custom product and assigns it a new product code which is "somehow" imported into Adempiere as a Non-Stock Product code with a BOM from OpenJanela.

everything else is most likely best handled in ADempiere.

What do you mean by component dependencies?

• What do you mean by component dependencies?

For example we have BOM which has as components Base model, Electrical Drive, Heating.

Electrical Drive is also BOM and includes electrical motor, battery and other components.
    Heating is alos BOM which includes some components for the heating and battery.

When user selects Electrical drive and Heating then one of the batteries must be removed as only one is needed.

This is what i call dependencies or components logic.

Regards,
    Trifon

• In OpenJanela, all BOM, Routing, Capacity usage is dealt with in Rules. Options = attributes.  There are also some specific Attribute for the Model of Product being configured.  In our case things like Width, Height, Handedness (left or Right) etc.
    In the Rules we test on those attributes:  DO  : USE:  PART: Which Part (choose), WHERE: Position (some Attribute of the Model)  TEST: as many attribtes as you want to test on….

The user does not actually write any code, the UI takes care of the logic and store the rule in the DB.

In OpenJanela there are no BOM at all, just Rules that generate the BOM for the product on demand.

We have made the same approach work for Roof Struts manufacturers, Cabinets, Stairs cases, Fences, and simpler products that do not require Dimesionality but are made/assembled to order.

• Forgot to say: During Testing we also employ N-Dimensional matrices (matrices within matrices)  to further simplify TEST logic.

• Ramiro Vergara
    Ramiro Vergara
    2012-01-09

Hi OpenJanela (btw Janela means "window" in portuguese for those that dont know ;) ),

What open source license is Open Janela released with?, GPL2 ? I quickly browsed you web site but could not see any mention of the specific license you use.

Regards

Ramiro

• SED
    SED
    2012-01-09

It is/will be GPL2…  still waiting to put all of this together.