Selling Free Software

2009-10-01
2013-03-07
  • Redhuan D. Oon
    Redhuan D. Oon
    2009-10-01

.. finally found the proof that you really can. This also ends the wrong debate about GPL, whether there is a loophole in people hiding it, as being able to sell free software makes it fruitless to cheat for it.

That link is an intuitive thing from day one - Info is Free, People are Not, Contributors are Priceless <- that is key.

: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

• Carlos Ruiz
    Carlos Ruiz
    2009-10-01

Redhuan, I don't understand clearly the correlation of "selling" with "hiding" in your statement.

GPL allows to sell - but GPL doesn't allow to hide distributed things.  The "commercial open source" hype it's becoming more and more like releasing a demo in open source license, and distributing a complete working piece of software with a different license (mostly hiding the sources or disclosing them under some NDA).  Community open source is (and must be) different.

Anyways, one thing is to say that GPL allows to sell licenses, and a different thing is reality.

I think "selling" GPL software is not a real business - the business we're all here is "selling" services around an ERP system that is free, even free as in beer.

An example maybe clarify this:

I could create CDs with OpenOffice and sell them.  Right, I'm on my own, free license allows that.

But if people can get the software for free (as in beer) - I guess the only ones that will bought my CD are a few of uninformed people  :-D

It's a legal business, yes, but it's not a real business unless I add some value to the offer (services like training, support …)

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

• K Hee
    K Hee
    2009-10-02

Carlos,
    I dont agree with this statement :

An example maybe clarify this:

I could create CDs with OpenOffice and sell them. Right, I'm on my own, free license allows that.

But if people can get the software for free (as in beer) - I guess the only ones that will bought my CD are a few of uninformed people :-D

I give you a real life e.g. today. Apache web server is free. In IBM, it is called Websphere web server (don't mistaken it with the servlet and EJB containers, that is another animal with a similar name). Lots of coys pay for it every day around the world.

Human thinking is very different from machine. You can sell anything if you know how to pitch it….

Rgds

• Carlos Ruiz
    Carlos Ruiz
    2009-10-02

Hi Beancounter31,

Can you point me to a site where I can buy a plain "Websphere web server" (without the rest of the websphere stuff)?  What is the price?

If I buy "Websphere web server" am I buying support from IBM?

1 - I don't think IBM sells a plain apache - they add lots of things on websphere (but it will be great if you prove me that I'm wrong)

2 - if you buy support for Apache from IBM - then that's what I said - they're adding value to the offer.  They're not charging for Apache, they're charging for the support.

When you buy Redhat Linux, you're not buying Linux licenses, you can download CentOS for that.  You're really buying support from Redhat, you're buying their test procedures to give you a tested environment.  Adding value.

When I sell Adempiere implementations I don't charge for the license, I charge for the services.

I keep my opinion that selling **plain** open source licenses is just a business for uninformed market.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

• K Hee
    K Hee
    2009-10-02

Carlos

Unfortunately I cannot point you to any website but I know for a fact that in many situations where I have implemented 3 tier deployment where the web server is a separate box from the application box, there is a license for the web server.

Hell, IBM made more money doing this then me when I spend money writing software, selling and IBM just comes in to put in the hardware and environment software and walk away with more than half of the budget each time. Piss me off like hell but this is the real world.

All I am saying is don't create a mental block for yourself. There is truth is the saying that some sales guy can sell air con to an Eskimo.

• K Hee
    K Hee
    2009-10-02

By the way, have you heard or come across this statement before " If you buy from BIG BLUE, you don't get fired even if it is wrong.

Big Blue interpretes that as ADD VALUE. Do you?

When I worked with them, if I am late by a day, it is called a project failure. When they are late by 15 months, it is a called a project success. So ADD Value is a perception you just learn how to create…