Where is the Adempiere Migration Tool ?

Help
2012-05-14
2013-03-08
  • What happened to the Adempiere Migration Tool by Stefan Christians documented on http://www.adempiere.com/Migrate ?

Is it fit for productive use?

Jan Rheinländer

• Thanks! That was what I was looking for

Is there a compiled migrate.jar anywhere? Or an instruction on what dependencies need to be installed to build on Ubuntu 11.10?

Regards,

Jan Rheinländer

• Enrique Ruibal
    Enrique Ruibal
    2012-05-14

Hi,

I suggest the following:

1) Install the software from the source repository
    2) Read the documentation
    3) Test on your own

Regards,

• Well…

I get stuck at 1) I can browse the repository and view/download single files, but how do I install from it?

Then, after downloading the files with wget, I get the build error
    running Ant
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/Main
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tools.ant.Main
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    Could not find the main class: org.apache.tools.ant.Main. Program will exit.

which seems to indicate that I am missing some dependencies, but which? Or maybe I need to set a path?

The documentation tells me to clone the complete Adempiere repository, but since I have a 64 kbit satellite connection, that would take forever.

That's why I would be really thankful for a ready-compiled migrate.jar :-)

Regards,
    Jan

• Thomas Bayen
    Thomas Bayen
    2012-05-14

Your error message seems to indicate that you have not installed Ant. From the README of migrate I see that you should install migrate into the ADempiere source tree. Perhaps there is the ant library you are missing.

Because of you mentioning a satellite connection I googled your name and understand your situation. I felt compassion and try to help you. ;-) I zipped a package of the migrate source. But according to the README you need also the ADempiere source tree (which is very big) to compile it. So I got my own ADempiere 361 tree, copied the migrate tool and builded a migrate.jar. I hope it works for your ADempiere version.

If you want to know how it works look into the RUN_* -Scripts in the sources. I do not understand anything about this tool. I only wanted to help you. :-)

see here: http://tmp.frei-bier.org/tmp/

BTW: Do you have an old ADemiere installation or for which reason do you need the migrate tool? If it does still not work for you please explain your problem and tell the ADempiere version you are using. It may be you can solve it without this tool.

Thomas Bayen

• Hi Thomas,

thanks for the compassion and even more for the files :-) Your migrate.jar works, so I am happy now

I have installed ant but it seems to be missing some other packages, or the paths are wrong. But with the migrate.jar working I won't need to compile, anyway

I have version 342s installed and want to take it to 360lts. Or would you recommend going 370lts directly? This is a production system so I don't always want the newest version with the newest bugs :-)

Jan Rheinländer

• Thomas Bayen
    Thomas Bayen
    2012-05-15

If this works for you it is OK. I am not very experienced in this area and did only some migrations to minor development versions (I use ADempiere for half a year). I knew the method to migrate by applying the migration scripts directly. There is a script migrate_postgresql.sh in the migration directory (in the source - but I think it should be in the distribution package too) that helps you doing this with many scripts in one call.

A better tool for this might be a good idea - I did not hear from your "migrate" tool before. It may be a better solution than my "hard" way.

Perhaps some more experienced users can step in and hint you to the "official" way of migration.

In my opinion 360lts is a good choice. There is an effort to do 38x out of 370 (out of 360) and another effort for a OSGI version (that will change the game of development in a big way) which is based on 361 (based on 360). Both teams are not working together as it would be desirable. So before you decide one direction for you it may be a good idea for you to keep with 360 because it is the common source of both efforts.

greetings from germany

Thomas Bayen

• Anonymous
    2012-07-18

Is this migration tool is really helpful for selling businesses.  Buying a business is a serious undertaking and it is important that appropriate legal and financial advice is sought prior to signing any documentation.

• ADAXA
    ADAXA
    2012-07-18

Dear Unnamed
    Your observation that "Buying a business is a serious undertaking and it is important that appropriate legal and financial advice is sought prior to signing any documentation" is no doubt correct but it is not clear how it relates to the ADempiere migrations tools

The migration tool will allow you to migrate from one ADempiere version to another and from one database to another (eg from Oracle to Postgres).

Can you be more specific with your question?

regards
    Adaxa

• ismet sener
    ismet sener
    2012-09-03

Can you use this Adempiere Migration Tool also to migrate from Compiere 3.2 to Compiere 3.5?