Suse 11.0 DWL-520+ unable to associate

Tom C
2008-07-04
2013-02-17
  • Tom  C
    Tom C
    2008-07-04

I used to have this working on openSuse 10.2 some time ago. I had a hard drive disaster and lost everything. I recently started over with openSuse 11.0, and this has an acx.ko already present. Initially of course it reports that the firmware could not be found. Fortunately, I also still had the firmware files I had used before, saved on a windows drive. I loaded these files into /lib/firmware and  then it was able to pick them up.  After that I was able to configure the card. I have tried every variation I can think of with the iwconfig and various parameters, but I cannot get it to connect to the access point. It just forever repeats the following cycle in /var/log/messages:
    acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
    starting radio scan
    acx_i_timer:adev->status=1 (SCANNING)
    continuing scan (1 sec)
    no matching station found in range yet
    Then I thought, ok maybe the driver which came with the distro has some kind of problem, so I downloaded the latest one from sourceforge and built it. I get the exact same behavior.  I know its not the firmware because it worked before with the exact same firmware. There were 3 warnings generated during the build process. I'll update the thread with the warning information shortly. 

I remember this going very smoothly at openSuse 10.2, so I'm not sure what is making it so difficult now. I would greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions.

One last bit of info: the wireless access point is wide open, no WEP or any other restriction.

I graciously thank you for your time in advance!

-Tom C

• Tom  C
      Tom C
      2008-07-04

when building the module, I get this warning:

WARNING: modpost: Found 3 section mismatch(es).
      To see full details build your kernel with:
      'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'

I know basics for programming c/c++ but I'm not really sure what that means, but I can follow instructions so then I did make again, except adding that parameter. Then I get these warnings below.  I don't know what this is about or if it will really affect my problem or not. The module does not core dump or cause the kernel to crash, and I get the same behavior as with the module that suse provided, so I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.

-Tom C.

WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x10): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the variable .devinit.data:acxpci_id_tbl
      The variable acxpci_drv_id references
      the variable __devinitdata acxpci_id_tbl
      If the reference is valid then annotate the
      variable with __init* (see linux/init.h) or name the variable:
      *driver, *_template, *_timer, *_sht, *_ops, *_probe, *_probe_one, *_console,

WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x14): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the function .devinit.text:acxpci_e_probe()
      the function __devinit acxpci_e_probe()

WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x18): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the function .devexit.text:acxpci_e_remove()
      the function __devexit acxpci_e_remove()
      variable with __exit* (see linux/init.h) or name the variable:

Building modules, stage 2.
        MODPOST 1 modules
      WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x10): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the variable .devinit.data:acxpci_id_tbl
      the variable __devinitdata acxpci_id_tbl

WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x14): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the function .devinit.text:acxpci_e_probe()
      the function __devinit acxpci_e_probe()

WARNING: /home/tomc/acx-20080210/acx.o(.data+0x18): Section mismatch in reference from the variable acxpci_drv_id to the function .devexit.text:acxpci_e_remove()
      the function __devexit acxpci_e_remove()
      variable with __exit* (see linux/init.h) or name the variable: