acx module causes kernel panic in Kubuntu8.10

2008-11-07
2013-02-17
  • BderenorCaine
    BderenorCaine
    2008-11-07

Hi,

i am using the acx module from the kubuntu repositories. After the latest upgrade (8.04 to 8.10) the pc locked up shortly after the login screen appears. After a while i figured out that what was happening was a kernel panic caused by the acx module (the part of the stacktrace i could see contained almost exclusively acx moethod calls). Strangely, when i started the system in recovery mode, the module worked fine. After a lot of trial and error, i decided to switch to ndiswrapper, because in my case it was quite imporant to get it to work as quickly as possible.
    Just wanted to let you guys know about this. i have appended the output of uname -a and modinfo acx. Let me know when you need more info. Because i no longer have access to the system in question, i will not be able to provide you with the stack trace, sorry.

So long,
      bderenorcaine

uname -a:
      Linux buechel 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:20 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

modinfo acx:
      filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/ubuntu/misc/wireless/acx/acx.ko
      description:    Driver for TI ACX1xx based wireless cards (CardBus/PCI/USB)
      author:         ACX100 Open Source Driver development team
      license:        Dual MPL/GPL
      srcversion:     232F9E4F58301EF2CBA0088
      alias:          pci:v0000104Cd00009066sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
      alias:          pci:v0000104Cd00008401sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
      alias:          pci:v0000104Cd00008400sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
      alias:          usb:v2001p3B01d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
      alias:          usb:v2001p3B00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
      depends:        usbcore
      vermagic:       2.6.27-7-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586
      parm:           firmware_ver:Alternate firmware version. (string)

• I have the same problem in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, initially I thought the problem was with NetworkManager, but it seems to be a problem with NetworkManager trying to use a feature that the driver does not support.

I have further details, including stack traces, here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/279287

I have compiled the latest version of the acx kernel module from GIT, but am unable to load it as it cannot find my firmware (the version that comes with Ubuntu 8.10 finds the firmware without a problem).

If you have any requests for me to try builds/patches or anything else then let me know and I'll be happy to help out.