mencoder will not encode DVD's

• I have used acid rip and gmencoder to try to rip dvd's  all that happens is nothing,  here is the debug information from acid rip

cidRip message - Running mencoder -dvd 6 -dvd-device /dev/dvd  -alang English   -info srcform="DVD ripped by" -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vqmin=2:vbitrate=1660:vpass=1 -vop ,,, -o "/dev/null"
    AcidRip message - Encoding film, 1st pass...
    MEncoder 1.0pre1-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 PM Palomino/Athlon MP Multiprocessor/Athlon XP eXtreme Performance (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Reading /home/palen12/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/home/palen12/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
    Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
    Using built-in default codecs.conf
    File not found: 'frameno.avi'
    Failed to open frameno.avi
    Reading config file /home/palen12/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory
    -dvd N is deprecated, use dvd://N instead.
    Exiting... (error parsing cmdline)
    AcidRip message - Mencoder interrupted by user

I installed mplayer 1.pre1 as teh old .9X are no longer available.  gmencoder works for files,  whats with the dvd?  mplayer makes a key fine and plays the dvd's

• dvd N is deprecated, use dvd://N instead.

its tring to open the dvd the old way :)

• Chris Phillips
      Chris Phillips

I believe this is an issue with the version checking done by acidrip to retain support for the 0.9 branch. i think it's
      probably time to drop that support anyway, and only use the new format