avid media offline issue

Developers
Lian Zhang
2011-08-01
2013-04-29
  • Lian Zhang
    Lian Zhang
    2011-08-01

I wrote an aaf file with AAF SDK. While when I imported my aaf file into Avid MC, I found media files within my aaf file could not be shown on the sequence. It's only shown Media Offline. I checked the media file name path which was correct. I was trying to use Avid to export an same aaf file and compared these two AAF files. They are almost the same other than mobattributeslist property tagged value array in composition mob, such like:

MobAttributeList: Strong Object Reference Array  of TaggedValue

kAAFTypeID_TaggedValueStrongReferenceVector :

Name: "SEQUERNCE_FORMAT_TYPE"
        Value: (indirect type: aafInt32) 11

kAAFTypeID_TaggedValueStrongReferenceVector :

Name: "SEQUERNCE_FORMAT_STRING"
        Value: (indirect type: aafString) "HD 1080i/50"

Above taggedvalues are not written into my aaf file. I am wondering if they are necessary to show media file clips successfully rather than Media Offline. I would like to know which mandatory property or value I must write into my aaf file when I am using AAF SDK to create in order to show media file clips successfully.

Any comments or advice on this issue please.

Many thanks.

Lian

• John Emmas
    John Emmas
    2011-08-02

On 1 Aug 2011, at 04:27, lianzhang wrote:
    >
    > I wrote an aaf file with AAF SDK. While when I imported my aaf file into Avid
    > MC, I found media files within my aaf file could not be shown on the sequence
    > It's only shown Media Offline. I checked the media file name path which was
    > correct.
    >
    >
    >
    > Any comments or advice on this issue please.
    >

One obvious question is whether your media was embedded (i.e. in the same phtsical file as the sequence data) or whether it was non-embedded?  From your description it sounds like it must have been non-embedded.  It's quite a long time since I had any involvement with AAF but IIRC Avid used to use a "media database" for locating external media.  It didn't really take much notice of path names since most of the time, they'd be unlikely to be meaningful to an importing app.  Try using embedded media and see it that solves your problem.

IMHO embedded media is generally better if you're transferring files from one system to a completely different one.  Non-embedded media is preferable mostly when you have a number of identical (or at least, compatible) systems using shared media from a common resource pool.

My information's quite out of date though. Maybe someone else will be able to let you know if things are different now.

John