Re-distributing the source code...

Developers
John Emmas
2006-12-05
2013-04-29
  • John Emmas
    John Emmas
    2006-12-05

I thought I'd better check this out before going too far....

I mentioned in a separate thread that I'd been asked to write some AAF functionality for a Linux project. The project is open source and ideally (though possibly not essentially) they'd want me to distribute my bit as open-source too.

I was an early adopter of AAF and one of the first things I did was to add some functionality that wasn't available in those early releases. For example, I added a "locator failure callback" feature for dealing with situations where missing media can't be found. Also, I changed the functionality of the audio codecs to include byte swapping (where necessary). Byte swapping wasn't included in the early releases (and still isn't, AFAIK). Since audio is typically 24 bits, this required me to develop a new "swappable" integer type (OMInteger24Type) to supplement OMIntegere08Type, 16Type and 32Type. I'd be quite happy to offer all my stuff to the AAF Association - but what if you guys don't want it??

I'm pretty sure I've offered my mods before but there was never any interest in them.  However, I don't want to distribute non-approved code so where would I stand on this?

• Oliver Morgan
      Oliver Morgan
      2006-12-07

A good next step for you would be to merge your inputs forward to the HEAD, and then upload this as a patch?

• John Emmas
        John Emmas
        2006-12-12

Thanks Oliver, I vaguely recollect having to do this once before but it turned out that I don't have sufficient privileges. Last time, I think I ended up having to zip up my changed files and email them to someone else.