Using axFileGen

jab_joe
2007-06-13
2013-04-29
  • jab_joe
    jab_joe
    2007-06-13

Hi all,

I'm looking into using axFileGen instead of writing Max+Maya plugins.
    Looks like just what we could do with, call it from the script languages will the data we want in a AAF file, and we are done.

All I need to do is output a AAF file for our sound software to load.

The AAF only needs to contain the name/path of the sound file and the start+end times.

Any docs for axFileGen? What I've got I got from "axFileGen > doc.txt" and isn't enough to acturally use it.
    I know it's an example not a tool, but it's pretty tool like, enough so we can use that and save ourselves (myself) writing anything other then a two small scripts (one for Max, one for Maya).

Joe

• Phil Tudor
      Phil Tudor
      2007-06-13

Your best bet for documentation on axFileGen is to look at the source code. Depending on what you actually need to put into the AAF file, you may find that you need to extend axFileGen.

Something that we can now do in the toolkit (as of v1.1.2 DR1) is convert from an XML AAF file (this is new) to a Structured Storage AAF file (this is the usual form of AAF). So another option for you is to write an XML file, then call the supplied converter to turn it into an AAF file.

Regards,

Phil

• Nelson
    Nelson
    2012-08-09

In 1.1.5, I had issues with axFileGen not registering it's operations. When I execute it, it dumps out an empty list of operations. I futz-ed the build by gathering all source into one directory. I don't have a good Linux visual debugger so I didn't step through the source code.

(Linux assumption follows here)
    Are the operations dynamically loaded from an .so file? By default, it appears axFileGen is statically linked to libaxFileGenOps.a

• Nelson
    Nelson
    2012-08-09

Since the tool is completely undocumented, I had to dig through the source to get a basic sample running. To save others an hour or two of time - try this:

-- commands.txt --
    CreateNewModify /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf
    MasterMob /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf mob1 Nelson1
    MasterMob /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf mob2 Nelson2
    MasterMob /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf mob3 Nelson3
    MasterMob /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf mob4 Nelson4
    SaveFile /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf
    CloseFile /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf

(run the follow on the above)
    axFileGen -file commands.txt

(test results)
    axDump -file /sl/home/nyu/test_aug9.aaf -objects

It's a pretty neat tool. You do need to understand the structure of an AAF file though.