On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:13:30AM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:56:28 -0700, Sean Egan wrote
> > I like Pidgin. It's unique, kinda catchy, has an actual, relevant
> > meaning (IM speakers butcher language), and---most importantly---a
> > purple pigeon (http://www.english-country-garden.com/a/i/birds/wood-
> > pigeon-1.jpg) would be a super fitting logo!
> > The lawyers have cleared Pidgin; it's ok to use. They've also
> > cleared Cohort.
> > I say we settle on Pidgin, start registering domains, setting up
> > servers, etc. I can work on a Pidgin-renaming patch.
> God yes. Pidgin's not my first choice, but I'm ok with it. I like
> Who should register those? Anyone, and then that person would be reimbursed
> by the nonprofit? I can do it if you want. FYI, I heard a rumor that the
> Isle of Man plans to start selling domains like pidgin.im later this year.
Last time I talked to Isle of Man, they were INSANELY expensive. I'm
not interested in paying more than $40 (as it is 40 _pounds_) a
_year_ when I pay less than 1/4th of that for _10 years_ for other
> Do we still have a lot of money from Google SoC? Can we move away from
> sourceforge? What about leasing a server somewhere? Maybe from linode.com?
> How many months could we go at $80 a month? Luke, don't you work for a
> colocation company? Do you think they'd be willing to provide a free or
> discounted rate for an open-source project? Are requirements aren't huge:
> Apache, php, svn, ssh, and a lot of bandwidth (I estimate between 2GB and 10GB
> a month).
I estimate about 5Gb a day not counting downloads. I've talked to Dan, my boss, who also
owns and runs dvlabs.com, about this. He's willing to host us, except downloads.
I need to bring it up again now that we are actually looking at it
This would allow us to _use_ that pidgin-im.com domain, to have our
own trackers (something I would really like), to not worry about how
much web space we use up, and to manage our own lists. We can also
then use whatever content management system we like.
This is unfortunately REALLY bad timing. I'm leaving for a week's
vacation Saturday (I must have confused sean when I told him), and
Dan is leaving for a 2 week vacation. So I can register domains
today if we decide, or _next_ Monday. Or someone else could. Either
way, we won't be able to move forward on hosting till Dan gets back.
The biggest reason I'd like to use dvlabs, even with Dan being slow
about things, is because 5GB/Day is EXPENSIVE. We could go with
something like serverbeach, which would provide a terabyte/month, but
that's $150/month and would not provide us with a machine that has a
RAID. Not a great solution (I bring server beach up because I used
to work there, and at rackspace, which at the time owned them).
Alternately, we could see what, if anything,
http://myriadnetwork.com/ can offer us. I've worked with them, and
they are good guys.
> What's our release strategy? Announce the non-profit and the name change
> within the next month? Then release 2.0.0 sometime after that, once all the
> major bugs are gone?
right now, I still have trouble starting gaim because of a gstreamer
crash, and I still have trouble using jabber on amd64, because of a
libxml2 crash. These are the two most significant roadblocks for
release from my point of view.
But yes, I say that the road plan is to announce the name change and
non-profit, and squash bugs as fast as possible for a 2.0.0 release.
if the release isn't perfect, well, none of our other releases have