P.G. Richardson wrote:
> A drop down is the method amarok uses and IMHO seems a tidy way to
> achieve this. Maybe wording a little more explicit than "Language"
> might be better. Still, that can be decided upon down the road.
I agree. I just wasn't very inspired when I added that. It may even
be better to have the drop-down list the site it's going to use
(Amazon (US), Amazon (UK), Amazon (JP), etc.). That way if someone
wants to add additional places to search they can do so.
Actually, thinking of it that way, it might be even better to make it
a config option, with checkboxes for which "services" to check.
International men of mystery like Jorg would just check off all of
them. Then let the code search each service that's been checked off
in the config. That could eliminate any need to have something in the
dialog other than the Artist and Album fields.
And if it was easy to whip up new search services, other folks might
contribute them for inclusion or download (ala firefox search
plugins). (But now I'm off in the weeds smoking. ;)
> I think the artist, album and locale components could be hidden
> unless the user wishes to use them or no results are obtained.
> Amazon.com has a massive selection of albums so I would think the
> vast majority would be found without further effort on the part of
> the user.
I'm surprised what I didn't find there from my collection (using other
tools and manual searches). Often it seemed like the cover should
have been found, but wasn't. I ended up browsing to the artist's page
on Amazon and then picking the album by hand. So I found myself
editing the search terms in the AlbumArt program a lot, and it was
handy that the dialog had them exposed by default. It's also good to
allow for one or the other to be blank. That sometimes helped me get
> Would dragging images onto the details window be worth the effort??
That I don't know. I've not done much d&d in gtk (and none in C). I
do think the feature would be quite useful.
> When fetchcover fails, I too look it up on google images, save to
> the album's directory, giving it a name according to the templates
> set then use "Set Cover From File".
If you could eliminate several of those steps by just dragging the
image to gtkpod, that'd be a win to me. Let the computer handle the
> Also, and again maybe just me but I tend to have gtkpod and firefox
> maximised on different virtual desktops so dragging could be
In Gnome you can drag something onto the desktop switcher and the
focus will move to that desktop/workspace where you can then drop the
image onto whatever program. I do this sometimes and it's as fast or
faster than it is to right click, select save image, use the file
chooser dialog to pick a location and click save.
Now don't take any of my ramblings as demands. I've got all of my
albums already covered with artwork, so I'm not going to be a big user
of the fetchcover code and (I'm probably not likely to be much help in
writing it :). So ignore anything that's more work than you think
it's worth. Mainly, I'm trying to think of things that would have
saved me time when I was adding covers to my collection.
Someone asked about the artwork support on gtkpod-questions today.
And they were wondering if there was a way to have it automated. That
might be another potential feature to consider -- some mode where
gtkpod can search for covers and automatically add them for those that
it can get a good match for (though I'm not sure how easy it is to
determine what makes a good match). Rhythmbox does something like
that, in that it will look for a cover and display it automatically
without an user prompting at all. I don't use rb regularly, but in
some testing it got some covers wrong, but more of them right. Nick
wrote an example script in python for this. It's in libgpod.
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: http://www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
Religion is for those who do what they are told regardless of what is
right. Spirituality is for those who do what is right regardless of
what they are told.