----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Fay" <stephenfay@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 6:45 PM
Subject: [Jython-dev] Help
> My job requires me to write automated
> test sequences.
It's usu. called test scenario, test case and test suite.
> I believe they plan to use Jython for
> this purpose.
Excellent choice if your project is using java. Best of both worlds.
> I can read scripts okay. They make sense.
> I am ignorant of (but not limited to )
> the following:
> Java script
> Java beans
> Java anything
It would be helpful if you can figure out the relationship among the above
first. In short:
* Java runs on JVM (java virtual machine);
* Java script does not have much to do with Java, a seperate scripting
* Java beans is not a language, it's a component architecture so one program
can figure out how other component is structured;
* Python is an OO dynamic scripting language
* Jython is a python implementation on top of JVM, so it can interact with
* JPython is the old name/version of Jython
> I just need some starting point lower
> than what I have seen
> on Jython.org
* http://www.amk.ca/bookstore/python.html Get the "Learning Python" book,
IMHO it's good.
* PyUnit unit test framework: http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/
* DDJ jpython article:
http://www.ddj.com/articles/1999/9904/9904toc.htm (search for jpython on
Once you have jython installed, try some examples from
It even has a lightweight unit test framework included.
> Stephen Fay
> Jython dummy
In the future, this kind of question better be directed to [jython-users]