Eric M. Ludlam writes:
> On 10/19/2010 12:40 PM, David Engster wrote:
>> Eric M. Ludlam writes:
>>>> I had added the files to Project.ede, but wasn't sure if the Makefile
>>>> would somehow get regenerated automagically. I did it now like you said
>>>> and it seems to work fine.
>>> Great! Thanks for all that.
>>> I looks like you may need to do the same to the Makefile in
>>> semantic/tests for your Fortran test file.
>> I had to add the file to semantic-ua-test. I think the Makefile doesn't
>> really do anything there?
> The Makefile is in cedet/semantic/tests where it would be included in
> the distribution. That's why I was suggesting the dist test below.
> Sorry that wasn't clear.
Thanks for clarifying. I've regenerated the Makefile.
>>> This would only be caught by doing an install test. See:
>>> which works like this:
>>> make dist
>>> ./testdist.sh emacs
>> This doesn't work for me, because I can't generate ChangeLogs, and
>> rcs2log won't work with bzr. You should either simply drop Changelogs or
>> we'll have to search for another tool to generate them.
> Hmmm, I was under the impression there was an rcs2log look-alike program
> for bazaar, but I can't find one by poking around in google.
Yep, there is. It's called bzr. ;-)
bzr log --gnu-changelog
Didn't know that one, either...
>>> (or xemacs, or whichever emacs you want to use.)
>> CEDET doesn't build under xemacs at the moment.
> Indeed. Something broke along the way and I was never able to figure it
> out. :(
Yes, I wasn't able to figure out why it fails to compile the
grammar during the build. It seems like some hook isn't running in batch
mode or something.
>>> If we can get the itest running, then doing a dist test may be a good
>>> thing for build-bot to use, possibly as a secondary build test.
>> It would have to run non-interactively for buildbot, of course. I
> Is that because there is no display to connect to? I don't have to
> "interact" with Emacs to run the test, but it does need a display.
Well, you have to interact if there's an error. :-) Otherwise, the test
just hangs since Emacs doesn't exit. When running from buildbot, there's
only stdout/stderr. In batch mode, Emacs will log everything from
'message' to stderr, so you have a nice log from the test.
>> changed cit-test.sh accordingly so that it can also run in batch
> That's probably a good idea. It runs interactively since debugging is
> that much easier for the complexities that the integration tests are
> trying to create. It also exercises the display engine for COGRE.
>From what I see in the logs, it looks to me that Emacs is running the
full integration test in batch mode. I'm guessing it also happily draws
the UML graphs, you just don't see them. ;-)
In case of an error, you'll see the backtrace in the logs. You are right
though that the backtrace often won't really help, since so many
external programs are involved, but I can then run it interactively on
the failing buildslave and provide more information.
>> mode. I'll see that I add it as another test, but first I have to make
>> sure it runs on the other platforms (the Windows buildslave currently
>> has a stupid failure; will be fixed tomorrow).
> Nifty. Good Luck with that. When these tests suites first came out,
> lots of folks helped identify testing issues on a wide range of
> platforms. Hopefully it will work fine.
They do work, also on Windows. However, in Windows, the Automake itest
is running unbearably slow - it takes 52 minutes(!!!). I mean, cygwin
was never particularly fast, but that's excessive. I'm guessing it's due
to the heavy forking/exec from the autotools, which is a *very* costly
operation on Windows, but I don't remember it being that slow when I
tested it last time under XP; maybe it's a new Win7 thingy. Anyway, the
automake itest is working, but I'm disabling it for now for the Windows
Another problem is that Emacs22 won't run the integration tests in batch
mode; it just hangs after a short time, I'm guessing when some external
process is fired up. Maybe Emacs22 simply doesn't support that in batch
mode, I don't know, but I had to disable the integration tests for
Also, the csope test is skipped, because cedet-cscope-min-version is set
to "16", but the latest version is 15.7...
Apart from those problems, everything runs fine now.