Worked just fine for me, yesterday (Monday at ~ 11:00BST), 7-day grab of
all Freeview channels.
From: Nick Morrott [mailto:knowledgejunkie@...]
Sent: 30 June 2009 01:15
To: Using the xmltv programs
Subject: Re: [xmltv-users] Cannot decode string with wide characters
at/usr/../Encode.pm line 186
On 28/06/2009, James Le Cuirot <chewi@...> wrote:
> uk_rt has broken on me at the most inopportune moment when I'm about
> to go on holiday and I want MythTV to record stuff while I'm gone.
> I'm getting this error.
> http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/132.dat: Cannot decode string with
wide characters at
/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Encode.pm line 186.
I've tested the 0.5.55 release of the grabber (the last stable
release) and do not appear to have any problems running the grabber with
either UTF-8 or ISO-8859 output. Listings for Channel 4 and Five are
retrieved normally. Note that I do not run an x86_64 kernel.
Please let me know what configured options you have at the top of your
> I'm not sure if the Radio Times or xmltv is to blame but I'm thinking
> the latter because I did just update my entire system. Also, the
> channel that's failing is Channel 4 - I tried to comment it out but
> then Five failed. I gather this is a common problem in Perl software.
Please explain that last sentence as I'm not sure what you mean.
uk_rt is quite resilient to failures during grabbing, and now typically
only aborts on fatal errors. If there's a problem with grabbing listings
for a particular channel, it will usually carry on with the next channel
rather than aborting completely.
Unfortunately, the Radio Times have probems providing UTF-8 text
correctly - there are almost always garbled characters in the listings
data, and this can cause problems when converting between character
sets. I have spent a *lot* of time in the past correcting these (each
bad character could be mapped to a good character fairly easily) but in
addition now a bad UTF-8 encoding regularly appears (EFBFBD) which can
map to *any* group of 3 characters, one of which is a multi-byte
> A quick fix would be much appreciated!
If there's a problem with the release version, I'll look into it again.
I closely monitor the xmltv-users and mythtv-users lists, as this is
where problems are brought to light quickly, and I always keep track of
the status of the UTF-8 text provided by the Radio Times.
Is anyone else having issues running tv_grab_uk_rt from the current
0.5.55 XMLTV release?
MythTV Official wiki:
MythTV users list archive:
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
xmltv-users mailing list
This email, its content and any files transmitted with it are for the personal attention of the addressee only, any other usage or access is unauthorised. It may contain information which could be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended addressee you may not copy, disclose, circulate or use it.
If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and notify the sender by email. Any representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.
Although we use reasonable endeavours to virus scan all sent emails, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and we advise you to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachments. We cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses. We reserve the right to monitor email communications through our networks.
Arqiva Limited. Registered office: Crawley Court, Winchester, Hampshire SO21 2QA United Kingdom Registered in England and Wales number 2487597