On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Olaf Westrik wrote:
> > Revision: 874
> > http://ipcop.svn.sourceforge.net/ipcop/?rev=874&view=rev
> > Author: owes
> > Date: 2007-12-12 00:01:39 -0800 (Wed, 12 Dec 2007)
> > Log Message:
> > -----------
> > Let's try discover for HW detection.
> > SATA may or may not work.
> > SCSI harddisk / cdrom detection is not 100%.
> > USB does not work (yet).
> > PCMCIA is (and was) broken.
> > Network card detection is done, but not used (yet).
> > Good news:
> > IDE (cdrom and harddisk) should work :-)
> > View which hardware is detected during probe on Console 5.
> > Disabling partial probes using noscsi, nousb etc. should be possible
> > again.
> Some additional comments:
> Ivan, I have temporarily removed running discover from busybox init.
> Gilles, I have reverted busybox DHCP, so DHCP client is now running on
> all detected network cards again. On hardware with many network cards
> this takes extra time. I do not think adding another selection screen is
> good idea, maybe a progress bar (inform user that something is
> happening) is better.
> What needs to be done:
> - write initramfs without to many modules
> - look into USB, PCMCIA and other hardware (I currently do not have
> everything to play with)
> - read lots of positive feedback posted here
> cheers Olaf
(I had a screenshot of the gui attached the first time I sent this so the
message didn't go through. I'm resending without the screenshot)
you wanted positive feedback, you got it! Wow, I'm really impressed with the
new installer hardware detection. Worked like a charm on IDE x86 and on my
SCSI sparc. The kernel on my ppc panicked, but this is due to something else
on my end and has nothing to do with the installer. So I couldn't test it on
IDE x86 was easy stuff, but during my first install something really weird
happened to be partion table. /dev/hda1 for some reason became type ntfs,
was not formated and mounted so the system could not boot. The second
install worked fine though. I can't remember now what I had on that harddisk
initially. Could it have been windows xp with a ntfs partition? The strange
thing was that the partition looked like it was created by parted -- it was
16MB and had the boot flag set on. Really weird.
You said that SCSI was not 100%. Well the harddrive was detected just fine.
A small inconvenience was that it was listed three times in the hard drive
selection screen, but that's because discover reported it three times. You
can check if each entry is identical and just print one.
The cdrom was not detected, but the correct scsi module was loaded because it
was included in the initramfs. This is actually quite easy to fix -- you're
loading ide-cd but not sr_mod. If you load it, the cdrom will be detected.
So I ended up installing over http, which was the first time I did that. And
it worked :-)
The system booted fine, but since I have five network cards and discover had
found the "wrong" one first, that module was loaded first in the initramfs
and eth0 got bound to the wrong module. I had to rmmod all NIC modules, then
load first the one I needed. /var/ipcop/ethernet/settings had the correct
module for green though.
This can be solved by creating udev aliases based either on PCI id or MAC
address. I didn't spend too much time on discover to see if it could report
the MAC address of a NIC, but this would be the ideal solution. You're shown
a list of discovered NICs with manufacturer name and MAC address, you pick
one, setup writes the config file and bumps the driver up so it's included
first in the initramfs and hence loaded first.
But this is now a very nice installer :-)
Oh, and the web interface is much cleaner now.
By the way the sparc install was done over serial line. The installer is not
as nice as on x86 and ppc, but it gets the job done.
We should probably hardwire just these modules in the initramfs:
The rest will have to be supplied by the installer based on discovered
UPDATE: the installer doesn't like rescue mode -- before the last changes if
you started in rescue mode, loaded manually the modules for your scsi/ide and
then manually started the installer it would find the harddrive and cdrom and
install. It seems now it only checks to see if it could detect the hardware
on its own and if it didn't it quits without even checking for the presence