I've been scouting around for quite a while on this issue. I have an
IRA-3 that seems to work fine, except with LIRC. The IRA-3 has a small
LED on it that will indicate when the device is activated and ready.
When using the test tools with libirman, echo "IR" >> /dev/ttyS0,
windows uICE, and home-electro.com's windows tools the light comes on
exactly as expected when the device is initialized and works just fine.
Whenever I start lirc, the light never comes on, and of course the
device does not work. My assumption is that it does not get initialized
through lirc and therefore never used. I have tried many 'walkthroughs'
on the web as well as read the lirc documentation about irman, but can't
seem to figure out what the issue is. I am really out of ideas... from
what I see using strace, the initialize string "IR" is never sent to the
device. I don't even see /dev/ttyS0 getting opened. Can anyone help with
this question? I have tried many versions of lirc and libirman to no
avail. I get the feeling I am just doing something stupid and over
analyzing the situation. This is the second shot at trying to get a
remote working on this install, as my i2c based PVR-250 receiver seemed
to stop working after a random amount of time (despite ivtv group's
reply, I think it's related to their driver).
Thanks for any assistance
Moderators, please disregard the first message - I sent it from the
Kernel 2.6.18 on Debian (KnoppMyth R5F1) with stock lirc build removed.
IRA-3 is connected to "COM1" (ttyS0).
I have used the following options to compile lirc 0.8.2, 0.8.3svn,
0.8.1, 0.8.0, 0.8.0pre1 with libirman 0.4.4, 0.4.4-1, and 0.4.3:
--with-tty=/dev/ttyS0 --with-x --enable-debug --with-syslog
--with-driver=irman --with-major=61 --prefix=/
These seem to be the best options I've come across. They are, basically,
the options the setup.sh script delivers appended with --prefix=/ (just
because I want to be different). I have tried many different
combinations including even attempting to get lirc_serial to work with
it (surprise! didn't work).
I am starting lirc with the following arguments:
lircd --driver=irman --device=/dev/ttyS0
Sanity check - driver is legit - irman shows up in lircd's binary:
root@...# lircd --driver=?
Driver `?' not supported.
root@...# strings /sbin/lircd | grep irman
irman not initialised (this is a bug)
irmanrc:%d: syntax error
irmanrc:%d: invalid code: `%s'
irmanrc:%d: bind error: `%s'
irmanrc:%d: alias error: `%s'
irmanrc:%d: port name too long
irmanrc:%d: unknown command `%s'
I've also tried the following, but think they are incorrect:
lircd --driver=irman --device=/dev/lirc
lircd --driver=irman --device=/dev/lirc --out=/dev/ttyS0
/var/log/daemon.log shows, when not in debug:
Aug 5 21:07:00 pvr-mythtv lircd-0.8.3-CVS: lircd(irman) ready
Aug 5 21:07:03 pvr-mythtv lircd-0.8.3-CVS: caught signal
With debug mode, the normal verbose output about the remote is shown as
well, but nothing before and after.
I am attaching the results of strace