On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:41:26AM -0700, Ben Rockwood wrote:
> I just commited a change to the build enviroment of E in SPLIT.
> It relies on a script written by Christian Hammond for his projects
> and is also used in GAIM. I spent 3 days learning gettext and autotools,
> and only found massivly kludgy workarounds that had numberous problems.
> Using autopoint you can pretty easily modify the pre-exsisting setup
> to use gettext 0.11.x, but then you have all kinds of compatability problems
> with gettext 0.10.x, and things get nasty quick....
> At any rate, this is my first commit to E's base, so don't kill me if I
> cause some harm, but I've tested it with both 0.10.x and 0.11.x and not
> had problems. If it works out I'll start working these changes into all
> the code bases.
I'm glad you found it useful :) Gettext's compatibility, or lack
thereof, had angered me to the point where I considered just forking
it, but this was the next best option.
So far, it has worked well in my GNUpdate libs and apps, as well as
gaim. I don't believe we've encountered any problems relating to the
script lately, though I could be wrong. It does have one problem,
though, which is that the regexps used in sed are not compatible with
non-GNU versions of sed, but I'll fix this as soon as I get access to
a machine I can test things on.
Let me know if there are any problems or if you make any
modifications, and I'll fix them or patch the copy I have up.
(Btw, sorry for the possible double-post. I used the wrong address to
post this e-mail, and it's being held for approval :)
Christian Hammond <> The GNUpdate Project
chipx86@... <> http://www.gnupdate.org/
Root beer and doughnuts -- because breakfast is the most important
meal of the day!