> Here is what I did.
> * Unpack, configure, build, and install libharu-2.0.8
> * However the pdf device part of the build did not work:
> Werner, let me know if you need any more information to duplicate this
> pdf device build error on your Linux box with libharu-2.0.8.
I think I know where the problem is and will fix it, the next time I
boot into Kubuntu. Dual booting is a pain ;)
> libharu seems mature; the 1.0.0 version was released in 2003, and there has
> been a steady series of releases ever since. I understand there are few
> libLASI). Werner, once you solve the Linux build issue, I suggest you donate
> your fix to the developer of this package to see how he cooperates.
I actually think the problem is on our (cmake module) side, it is not a
bug in libharu, we'll see, but if it's a bug I'll contact him (there
seems to be also another bug, so I'll contact him anyway).
> For the Linux brochure project (lbproject.sf.net) I get satisfactory
> conversions from postscript to pdf results using ps2pdf. Thus, you may want
> to compare -dev pdf results with -dev psc or psttfc results that have been
> transformed by ps2pdf on your Linux box.
Will do that. I know, that one could use ps2pdf, but than it's an
additional step and not easily available on Windows.
> However, your device should ultimately give better results since generic
> postscript to pdf transforms (regardless of whether done with ps2pdf on
> Linux or some equivalent tool on windows) will likely miss out on some pdf
> features you can get with a native pdf device driver.
> Adding TrueType fonts (I checked that libharu claims to support those) will
> be essential for -dev pdf users, and the compression feature you mentioned
> would be nice as well. But the top priority is the Linux fix.
I have an idea how to manage the 3rd party libraries problem, especially
on Windows it needs now a big amount of time to get everything ready if
you want to include all. I'll write an another email soon.