ROX-Filer 2.2.0 has been released!
To upgrade and run it, do:
$ 0refresh rox.sourceforge.net
(note that only the script in 'testing' runs 2.2.0 at the moment; the
script in the main site directory runs 2.1.5; 2.1.6 was buggy)
People not using Zero Install can download it from here instead:
Changes since ROX-Filer 2.0.x:
Actions on files:
- Progress bar for action boxes (Stephen Watson).
- Can now set "Brief" option on the Copy and Move action windows (Stephen
- Added an arrow to the comparison area of the action box so you can see
which file overwrites the other (Stephen Watson).
- Show files being operated upon in action windows (Stephen Watson).
- Allow renaming multiple files at once. This opens the Bulk Rename
window, which allows manual editing of the names, as well as
regular-expression based transformations (Thomas Leonard).
- Much faster thumbnail generation (Ken Hayber, reported by Anthony DiSan=
- Thumbnail generation now handles files with UTF-8 characters (Anatoly
- Added ability to call external programs to generate thumbnails for type=
other than image/* (Stephen Watson).
- When closing a filer window showing a directory under a user-mounted
mount-point, offer to unmount the device if no other filer window also
shows that mount point (requested by Tony Houghton and others). Also do
this check when changing to a parent directory (Thomas Leonard).
- Mounting a directory that was accessed through a symlinked directory
used the symbolic path, confusing the mount command (Thomas Leonard;
reported by Anthony DiSante).
- Offer Eject even for unmounted disks (reported by Matthew Weier
- New MIME type for mount points. Allows adding FreeFS, Format, etc to th=
- Added Eject menu item for mount points (Stephen Watson).
- Closing a window using the menu didn't offer to unmount (James Bursa).
- When mounting, force a refresh even if the mtime of the new disk is the=
since some formats don't change it. Also, if mounting gives an error, c=
to see if it worked anyway.
- The icons for mount point and symbolic link are now side-by-side, not
one on top of the other, and a new icon is used to mark files with
extended attributes (Stephen Watson).
- Only show executable files in green if clicking would actually run them=
not just because they have the execute bit set (Thomas Leonard).
- Added method of saving display settings for directories (Stephen Watson
and Takuo Yonezawa)
- Sort by user/group now uses the name, not the number (Stephen Watson).
- Try to load icons at 'huge' size, so SVG icons get the chance to scale
- Can now filter files by name, using normal shell (glob) patterns
- Dragging a lasso box above the top of the window in details mode
selected all the items outside the box (Thomas Leonard; reported by
Pinboard and Panels:
- Scale iconified window icons on the pinboard down to normal size (Ken
- Use a higher quality setting when scaling the backdrop image (Ken Haybe=
Method of scaling pinboard images is an option, as high quality could p=
poor results on some systems (Stephen Watson).
- Panel and pinboard icons can now have arguments set for them (Stephen W=
and Thomas Leonard).
- Ensure that a panel applet's properties are set before starting the app=
(reported by Tony Houghton).
- Icons of minimized windows remember their positions on the pinboard
- Let the panel autoscroll during a drag (Stephen Watson).
- Option to prevent maximising windows from covering the panels (requeste=
by Simon Templer and others).
- Can now drag icons to the very end of the panel (Stephen Watson).
- If a panel icon has an empty label, show it full size (Thomas Leonard;
requested by Stephen Crouch).
- Added optional top and bottom margins for iconized window placement
- Icon shortcuts without modifier keys didn't work if NumLock, CapsLock,
etc were turned on (reported by Peter Geer).
- Button-2 drags on panel applets always work now, even if the applet doe=
forward them explicitly.
- If no pinboard or panel icons were present, the menu could not be
opened (reported by John Pettigrew).
- Dragging to panel and pinboard directories didn't offer the DnD menu
(reported by BluPhoenyx).
- Renamed buttons in Set Run Action box so that they make sense (Thomas
Leonard; reported by Jonatan Liljedahl).
- When resizing a window, only warp the pointer as much as necessary to k=
inside the window (Thomas Leonard).
- Use Help icon instead of Info icon for popup help buttons (Thomas Leona=
- Option to make the File menu appear directly when the menu is opened
with files selected (Peter Geer).
- Added 'Select by Name'. This is faster than using 'Select If', because
it's instant effect and you don't need the quotes. The default shortcut
is '.', so '.png' selects all PNG files (Thomas Leonard).
- Renamed the 'Info' box to 'Properties'.
- Less frame-heavy look.
- Properties window handles mount points specially when calculating their
size (Stephen Watson).
- Renamed Cancel to Close in the Properties box (suggested by Arnaud
- Added count of directory contents to info window (Stephen Watson).
- Pressing Escape now closes the Properties box (reported by Arnaud
- Allow editing a symlink's target from the Properties box (suggested by
- FreeBSD reported file sizes with units of 'null' due to large file
support not being detected (igla).
- Added CheckButtons to the info window to allow manipulation of permissi=
bits (Stephen Watson).
- Don't show the permissions in the properties window for symbolic links
as they don't behave as you might expect (Stephen Watson, reported by
- Set the name for filer windows to 'rox-filer'. This allows theming the
fonts just for ROX-Filer (Lucas Hazel).
- Improved socket icon (taken from Howard Shane's new theme).
- Get file icons using freedesktop.org icon theme system (Thomas Leonard).
Icons in Choices override the theme.
- Added icon theme selector (Thomas Leonard).
Window manager support:
- Use new GTK 2.2 functions to set window hints now that we don't support=
anymore (Guido Schimmels).
- Added option to make panels have the type _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK (Ton=
Houghton). Metacity needs this.
- Use _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW to raise and lower the panel (Tony Houghton).
- Force panel to not take focus when using GTK 2.4 (Thomas Leonard).
- Fixed panel menu positioning for multiple monitors with different resol=
- Don't lower the panel due when the pointer 'leaves' due to a grab (eg,
clicking or opening a menu). This also fixes a problem with OpenBox 3
using a lot of CPU when the pointer was over the panel.
- Added Xinerama support: now works for tooltips and action windows;
filer windows are no longer prone to leaving their borders overlapping;
panel uses _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL so it only affects the monitor it's on
- On multi-monitor setups, filer windows always opened on the top/left
monitor (reported by Kacper Wysocki). Now they open on the monitor unde=
- Cope with XRandR screen resizing (Geoff Youngs and Tom Morton).
- Added PinboardRemove() SOAP call (Stephen Watson).
- Added PanelRemove() SOAP call (Sabin Iacob).
- New SetBackdrop() SOAP method (Matthew Weier O'Phinney).
- OpenDir SOAP message now takes an optional Window element. Pass the sam=
Window to re-use the window (Stephen Watson).
- If we can't guess a file's type from its name or extended attribute, tr=
looking at its contents too, if we have gnomevfs 2.8.0 or later availab=
- Make ignoring executable files with known extensions the default settin=
(suggested by Daniel Poersch). Freedesktop.org is discussing a plan to
mark individual MIME types as executable, which may be a better
- Added support for Extended Attributes (Stephen Watson).
- The Zero Install version now has debugging symbols provided, like the
CVS snapshot versions already do. These will be downloaded automaticall=
if you run gdb on the filer, which makes debugging much more pleasant!
You can also do:
(gdb) dir /uri/0install/rox.sourceforge.net/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer-2.=
which will download the source from within gdb too!
- Added --massif option for profiling memory usage (Thomas Leonard).
- Show the failed URI when dragging to the pinboard (Thomas Leonard).
- Added --leaks option to run ROX-Filer through valgrind with the memory
leak option checking on (Stephen Watson).
- Only examine items that are actually displayed, not all items in a dire=
Saves checking hidden files, which typically speeds up opening the home
directory. Removed an unnecessary extra scan when opening a directory w=
the default filter setting. Removed the double scan when clicking Refre=
two windows show the same directory (Thomas Leonard).
- When adding an entry to the Recently Visited menu, remove its parent
directory. This stops the list filling up with near-duplicates when you
have deeply nested directories (Thomas Leonard).
- Bookmarks can be given titles (Stephen Watson and Rahsheen Porter).
- Larger default size for bookmarks editor (requested by Matthew Weier
- Resizing by double clicking on background now optional (Stephen Watson).
- Resize on style change didn't do anything (Andy Hanton).
- Fix scrolling problem with GTK+-2.2.2 (reported by Alastair Porter, wit=
from G=C3=B6tz Waschk).
- Files with '&' in their names couldn't be saved in groups (reported by
- Type specific Send To entries now shown for multiple files when they ar=
all of the same type (Stephen Watson).
- Don't show hidden files on the SendTo menu (reported by Arnaud Calvo).
- Sort items on the SendTo menu (requested by John Pettigrew).
- Added 'Download handler' to drag and drop options. This program is
invoked when a URI is dragged to the filer (eg, from a web-browser). Th=
default command runs wget to download the file (Andrew Flegg).
- Accept Mozilla's alternative to the standard text/uri-list target durin=
drag-and-drop (Andrew Flegg).
- Don't allow toolbar buttons to focus (needed for GTK 2.4).
- Added sort and selection buttons to the toolbar. They start off disable=
enable them from Options->Tools if you want them (Stephen Watson).
- Minimum width of toolbar now an option (requested by Matthew Weier
- Stock icons in panel and pinboard menus.
- Help item is only shown for applications.
- Added 'Customise Menu' to file menu. Allows Gimp, GQView to be added fo=
image files, etc.
- Added a load of default keys, since many GTK setups now make it almost
impossible to change shortcuts.
- Make the Ctrl-button-3 menu pointer appear at the same place regardless
of the number of custom entries (Stephen Watson). Make Ctrl-button-3 op=
menu slightly higher, so Delete isn't under the pointer (suggested by R=
- Removed the menu-on-button-2 option. It was too inconsistant with every=
else, including panel applets and window managers, to be useful.
- Doing a Refresh in a directory under /uri/0install triggers a remote re=
- Get shared MIME database through Zero Install, if possible.
Character sets and encodings:
- Japanese digit characters crashed the filer, because some code thought
they were digits, and some thought they weren't (Thomas Leonard; report=
- If a string can't be converted from the local character set to UTF-8,
fallback to converting from iso-8859-1.
- When renaming a non-UTF8 file, still assume the directory is valid UTF-=
(reported by Arnaud Calvo).
- Don't create a corrupted pinboard/panel file if a non-UTF8 pathname is
dragged to it (reported by Eugeni Andreechtchev).
- Use gtk_selection_data_set_text instead of gtk_selection_data_set when
pasting filenames so that other applications know the string is UTF-8
(Thomas Leonard; reported by Dennis).
- URIs received through drag-and-drop were unescaped twice, causing
problems with names containing the '%' character (spotted by Jonatan
- Escape text/uri-list for drag and drop operations (Stephen Watson).
- More drag and drop fixes relating to escaped URI's (Stephen Watson).
Compiling and Installing:
- Slight change to install script for when the installation directory is
on an NFS mount (Stephen Watson).
- Warn about missing libsm in configure.in (reported by fedewico).
- Build object files in ROX-Filer/build, in case source directory is
read-only (Thomas Leonard and Stephen Watson).
This also reduces the risk of distributing the object files by accident.
- Added firefox to list of default browsers (suggested by eugene).
- Proper check for the stat[v]fs headers (Stephen Watson, reported by
- Added another place to look for apsymbols.h (Stephen Watson).
- Changed email address given as the one to send bugs to when using --hel=
to the rox-devel list (Stephen Watson).
- Cope with spaces in ROX-Filer's path.
- Don't display an error box when installing the ROX icon theme. It just
worries people for no reason.
- Added 'Specify the prefix' install option (Ryan Pavlik).
- Use apsymbols.h (from autopackage.org) if possible for binary
compatibility with older glibc versions. Use g_ascii_* functions instea=
of the ctypes ones for the same reason.
- Handle case when the output of uname -m contains spaces (Stephen
Watson, reported on #rox).
- Fix compiler warning when not using dnotify (reported by Damien Couderc=
- Updated some calls to use newer APIs, and allow compilation on systems
where deprecated widgets are disabled by default (reported by Vincent
Lef=C3=A8vre and Guido Schimmels).
- Plug a memory leak when loading SVG type icons (Stephen Watson).
- A race in the code for updating iconified window titles could cause the
filer to crash with a BadWindow error (note that the more usual cause o=
this error is a bug in GTK, which is fixed in 2.4.6).
- Renamed some functions stolen from Gtk to avoid possible conflicts with
the Gtk-2.3 series (reported by Stu Tissimus).
- Added Czech translation (Jan Provaznik).
- Added Italian manual translation (Yuri Bongiorno).
- Added Portuguese translation (Rodrigo Cesar Herefeld).
- Added Romanian translation (Cosma Florin).
- Updated Chinese translation (Babyfai Cheung).
- Updated Dutch translation (Jan Wagemakers).
- Updated French manual translation (Arnaud Calvo).
- Updated French translation (Vincent Lef=C3=A8vre).
- Updated German translation (Guido Schimmels and Daniel P=C3=B6rsch).
- Updated Italian translation (Yuri Bongiorno).
- Updated Japanese translation (Hiroaki Tanaka).
- Updated Russian translation (Vladimir Popov).
- Updated Spanish translation (Marcelo Ramos).
Dr Thomas Leonard http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6 8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1