I enjoyed some time away from coding over the holidays.
I have just put up another prerelease of ctags-4.1. I will probably
end up calling the released version 5.0 because the changes since
4.0.3 have been so extensive.
Here are the significant changes since pre2:
* Changed --<LANG>-regex option to --regex-<LANG>.
* Changed the default regular expression (RE) syntax from Posix
basic RE to Posix extended RE, because the Posix RE documents that
I could find referred to basic RE as "obsolete".
* Added ability to define the kind specifier to use for an RE
specified using --regex-<LANG>.
* Added ability to map shell patterns to languages (on supported
platforms). This allows more flexible mapping than the extension
mapping (which is still supported).
* Paths to source files in the tag file are now relative to the tag
file rather than the current directory.
* Added support for generation of tags for makefiles using a regex
parser. This parser is a good model for how to write a regex
* Added check to prevent infinite loops in case of recusive symbolic
* Added new option, --ext-fields, which allows user to specify which
extension fields to include in tag file. The --kind-long option
has been deprecated, its functionality being incorporated into
this option. Also, the 'A' flag of the --c-types and --java-types
options has been replaced with this new option.
* Added new option, --extra-tags, to replace the --qualified-tags and
--file-tags options, and the 'C' flag to the --c-types and
Please be sure to read the man page regarding the options mentioned
Let me know what you think.
Darren Hiebert <darren@...>