We have the pleasure to inform you that GLE 4.0.12 has just been released
and is available here:
This release introduces QGLE, a previewer and graphical user interface for
GLE written by A. S. Budden. It includes many improvements to the graph
and key modules, features scalable LaTeX expressions in GLE scripts, and
comes with several improvements to the GLE scripting language. A detailed
list can be found below.
Changes in 4.0.12
* Includes a GUI called QGLE
- displays the output of GLE and updates automatically after the source
file is modified (run "gle -p myfile.gle")
- has basic editing tools (add amove/line/circle/...)
- QGLE is based on the QT and Ghostscript library
* Added GNU autoconf support (in addition to the regular makefile.os system)
(on Linux, one can now compile with ./configure; make; make install)
* Added autopackage support
* UTF8 support (limited to latin characters with accents)
* LaTeX expressions are scaled to the current font height
(set texscale none/fixed/scale)
* LaTeX expressions are used in key and graph blocks (set texlabels 1)
* The "begin box / end box" block now fills underneath its contents
* Added keyword "local" to define local variables
(see e.g., Examples | Fractals | Sierpinski on the website)
* Added "colormap" command (regular and graph block)
(see e.g., Examples | 3D plots | Information Gain on the website)
* Colormap works for functions and for .z files
* Added option "-v" to run another version of GLE
(if more than one version is installed, use "gle -help v" to list installed
* Added "begin object name" and "end object" to define objects
* Added "draw name.pos" to draw objects
* More sensible defaults for graph font sizes
(use gle -cmode 3.0 to get the old defaults)
* Font size in graph now depends on the "hei" setting
* Added new set subcommands: titlescale, atitlescale, ticksscale,
atitledist, alabeldist (to set font sizes and distances relative to the
value of the "hei" setting)
* Distance between axis labels and title are better calculated
* Added "margins", "dist", "coldist" and "row" options to key block
* Added "scale h v" command to graph block, which is equivalent to
a hscale/vscale pair
* Added colored fill patterns for the "bar" command and key block
bar d1,d2,d3,d4 fill blue,red,blue,purple pattern none,shade,grid,shade2
* Added "xnames from di" to retrieve the axis labels from a data set
* Added "xnoticks p1 p2 ..." to disable ticks at specified positions
* Added "ftick x0" to "axis" to manually set the position of the first tick
* Added "offset y0" to "axis" to move the origin of the axis
* Added "angle a" to "axis" to rotate the axis labels
* Added "x0axis" and "y0axis" (these are disabled by default)
* Added option "center" to center a graph block
* Added option "math" to create a "math mode" graph with the axis crossing
at the origin (see e.g., Examples | 2D Simple | Sin on the website)
* Added option "horiz" to bar command allowing "horizontal" bar plots
* Added option "style" to bar command allowing user defined bar styles
(see e.g., Examples | 2D Complex | Color Bar on the website)
* Added arrow styles "filled", "empty" and "simple"
* Added support for user defined arrow styles
(see e.g., Examples | Other | Arrow Styles on the website)
* Added function xbar(xp,i) retrieving the x-coordinate of bar i in a bar plot
* Added function xy2angle(dx,dy) that computes the angle (polar coords)
given dx and dy
* Added function sdiv(x,y) implementing y == 0.0 ? 0.0 : x / y
* Added formatting modes "pi" and "frac" to format$
(see e.g., Examples | 2D Simple | Sin on the website)
* Subroutine definitions and assignments can come before the size command
* Checks for correct nesting of all block commands
* While loops are now also supported (besides until ... next loops)
* Support for single line then/else blocks allowing code such as
if a < 1 then print a "is smaller than 1"
else if a < 2 then print a "is smaller than 2 but larger than 1"
else if a < 3 then print a "is smaller than 3 but larger than 2"
else print a "is larger than 3"
* LaTeX expressions can now also be used in combination with .ps output
* Axis scales are now computed based on the datasets that are actually used
* Graph block can include function calls, of which the output is clipped to
the graph window (see e.g., Examples | 2D Complex | Labeled Scatter on
* The manip utility has been integrated back into the GLE distribution
(see e.g., this screenshot of manip).
We hope that you all enjoy it!
We would like to thank everyone that helped testing the release candidates
of 4.0.12. Thank you all for the helpful comments and suggestions!
The GLE development team.