On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:12:40PM -0700, Alan Irwin wrote:
> On 2008-05-06 20:41-0600 orion@... wrote:
> >> Cmake 2.6.0 was released today. It clears up a number of issues with
> >> 2.4.x
> >> (huge improvements in Fortran support, for example), provides neat new
> >> features (scope reduction), and has a new generation of more powerful
> >> modules for finding system components. CMake-2.6.0 appears to work well
> >> with PLplot svn trunk (revision 8393) on my Debian testing system (build,
> >> install, ctest, and install-tree example build and test).
> >> Currently we have a number of places in our build system where we do
> >> things
> >> differently for CMake 2.4.x versus 2.6.x. Eventually, I would like to
> >> drop
> >> all the 2.4.x logic (for example, all the Fortran workarounds for the
> >> CMake
> >> 2.4.x fortran bugs) and set a CMake minimum version of 2.6.0 to simplify
> >> our
> >> build system logic, increase its maintainability, and make it easier to
> >> access some of the neat features that are now available with 2.6.0.
> > Here's my perspective from the Fedora side of things (I package both cmake
> > and plplot for Fedora). cmake 2.6.0 will be in F10. F9 is basically
> > being built today and has 2.4.8. I don't think 2.6.0 will be pushed to F9
> > anytime soon. Fedora has a 6 month release cycle, so I would hope for
> > cmake 2.4.8 support for another 6 months until F10 is released and people
> > can really bang on it. But we can live with whatever you decide to do.
> Because F9 is to be released shortly, it sounds like you will start the F10
> packaging effort for CMake-2.6.0 quite soon. But as soon as that is done,
> then I assume you should have no problems packaging a version of PLplot that
> build-depends on CMake-2.6.0 for F10. Is that a correct assumption?
> Similarly, the cmake 2.6.0 packaging effort is already underway in Debian
> experimental, and Andrew and Rafael would have to wait until that package
> got promoted to Debian unstable before they could start packaging a PLplot
> version that build-depends on CMake 2.6.0.
> I feel strongly that packaging is a really important way to promote PLplot
> so I don't want to make life difficult for the Plplot packagers. Therefore,
> I would be happy to hold off making the CMake version bump until you were
> satisfied with the cmake-2.6.0 packaging for the pre-release version of F10,
> and cmake-2.6.0 got promoted to Debian unstable. I suspect both those
> events will occur substantially before 6 months from now, but we will see.
Waiting until cmake 2.6.0 is available is a must before upgrading the
debian packages. We tend to package the current release rather than svn
so it wouldn't immediate break the packages - it would just mean we
couldn't upgrade to a new release until cmake 2.6.0 was available.
I think it is probably important to provide a crossover anyway. Cmake
2.6.0 is new and may well not be available packaged on all platforms
for a little while. We want to make life as simple as possible for those
In the long term dropping support for 2.4.x seems the way to go. I just
don't think the time is quite yet.