hi, eboard 0.9.0 has been released.
Although it won't crash, there are some issues with this release that
would make me call it "unstable", and I believe there will be a 0.9.1
release in early august fixing these issues. So I _do not_ recommend that
package maintainers (debian, RPMs, etc) build binary packages of eboard
0.9.0, wait for 0.9.1.
The changelog follows at the bottom of this email, as usual. The main
issue with 0.9.0 is that I've been playing with the translations and they
may be simply broken. A czech translation has been added. New features
have been introduced, but the menu options and dialogs for these new
features haven't been translated yet. As soon as I get the translations,
0.9.1 should be released. (most likely the translations aren't broken - I
installed several different versions of gettext in my computer in the last
few weeks and most likely it's my gettext that isn't doing well with glibc
- I'll make a fresh Linux install in a few weeks and that should undo the
Some issues that will surely get fixed on 0.9.1: mouse wheel scrolling
(currently disabled) will be available again, and I will look at some
engine issues people have reported (those require some time for debugging,
and I chose to postpone these and release 0.9.0 soon)
Two features requested by users are in 0.9.0: peer to peer playing (one
eboard connects directly with another eboard) and move retraction
(takeback) when playing against an engine.
Download links are available at
ChangeLog since 0.8.0:
* [ics] Fixed incompatibility with servers that allow digits
in player handles (such as Gustav998).
* [all] Changed the way new input is detected, will probably
make lightning playing on ICS less sluggish.
* [eng] Added the Retract Move command to the Game menu,
allowing to take back a move in a game against an
engine. It does nothing on ICS or P2P modes.
* [all] Added peer-to-peer (P2P) connection (one eboard connects
to other eboard to allow network play).
* [eng] Fixed a bug in the time control edit dialog,
the control type selection would always show
up as Fixed Time per Move regardless of the
* [all] Atomic games loaded from PGN will now be browsed
correctly (with explosions). (as long as the
Variant key in the PGN is set to "atomic", which
is already ok in games saved by eboard itself).
* [ics] The seek table will now be cleared after the
connection with the server is lost.
* [all] Fixed font encoding problem on tab labels, color
selection buttons, [chat]/[cmd] button, bug pane
action buttons. This problem only affected
* Local Game List may still have the problem, mail
Ales about it *
* [all] Save desktop geometry will now save the position of
the pane division in the main window, thanks to
Tristan Colgate for the patch.
Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo - Computer Science MSc Student at Unicamp
bergo@... - Campinas - SP - Brazil - Earth
GPG/PGP mail welcome - GPG/PGP Key: EF8EE808 (keyserver pgp.mit.edu)
* Aibohphobia (n.): 1. Fear of palindromes.