At long last, I am quite pleased to announce the release of ht://Dig
version 3.1.6. Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release
in the form of code, feedback and bug reports!
This version is the latest production version and fixes a large number of
bugs, including all known security problems in previous versions. It is
*highly* recommended that all users update to this version. In addition,
version 3.1.6 offers additional features and improved documentation.
To download 3.1.6 or patches to previous versions, see
For the Release notes, see <http://www.htdig.org/RELEASE.html>
For the ChangeLog, see <http://www.htdig.org/ChangeLog>
Williams Students Online
Release notes for htdig-3.1.6 1 Feb 2002
As with previous releases, this version cleans up some remaining bugs and
adds a few heavily-requested features. As the latest stable release, it is
recommended for all production servers.
* Fixed another nasty security hole in htsearch, which would allow a
denial of service attack or forcing htsearch to read in config files
outside of the configuration directory.
* Fixed some problems with htmerge, including problems with words
beginning with special characters and merging multiple databases.
* Fixed a bug in handling hopcounts.
* Fixed problems in handling non-standard relative HTTP redirects.
* Fixed bugs in external parsers support including being confused by
charset information in the Content-Type header and handling binary output
from external converters.
* Fixed bugs in the default English endings database. (Under ispell,
it wasn't quite intended for the accuracy needed for our usage.)
* Fixed additional bugs in the endings fuzzy algorithm.
* Fixed bugs with compiling with gcc-3.0 and later.
* Fixed bugs compiling and running on Mac OS X.
* Fixed problems with servers not returning a Last-Modified date--now
assums indexing time as modification time.
* Fixed a variety of bugs in the HTML parser to more flexibly handle
* Fixed problems in the TCP connection code and will more reliably
timeout when a connection hangs and will retry bad connections several
times before giving up.
* Added the -m "minimal" flag to htdig for only indexing a set list of
URLs and made the -l (log) flag the default behavior so that htdig will
stop and restart automatically.
* Added htdump and htload programs for dumping ASCII representations
of the databases and reloading the same.
* Added support for htnotify to collect multiple URLs and allow easy
customization of notification messages, including the new attributes
htnotify_replyto, htnotify_webmaster, htnotify_prefix_file, and
* Added a new "accents" fuzzy algorithm to morph accents, including
the new accents_db attribute.
* Added a 'list all' feature to htsearch with a query of '*' or the
* Added date restricted searching to htsearch including relative
* Added documentation on running ht://Dig and the rundig script.
* Added METADESCRIPTION and NSTARS variables to the htsearch templates
as well as support for $=(var) template variable references.
* Added new config attributes to htsearch for restrict and exclude
which work like the normal htsearch form variables if the form variables
are not set.
* Added many new attributes, including ignore_dead_servers
description_meta_tag_names, max_keywords, translate_latin1,
url_rewrite_rules, search_rewrite_rules, anchor_target, ignore_alt_text,
search_results_contenttype, boolean_keywords, boolean_syntax_errors,
multimatch_method, maximum_page_buttons, max_excerpts, plural_suffix,
any_keywords and use_doc_date.
* Extended the build_select_lists attribute to support select
multiple, radio boxes and checkboxes.
* Revised the documentation to make it clearer in parts, including the
* Updated various contributed utilities including doc2html, xmlsearch,
rundig.sh, htparsedoc, acroconv.pl, multidig, etc.
* A variety of other bug fixes, and many documentation updates. See
the ChangeLog for details.
* Once again, thanks to everyone who reported bugs and bug fixes.