Earlier, I asked, and Brian answered:
> > Does anyone have any idea how modify mesa to get quake3 to use its
> > multi-texturing features?
> Are you sure you've enabled multitexture in the Quake3
Yes. From my autoexec.cfg (and q3config.cfg) in quake's baseq3 directory:
seta r_allowExtensions "1"
seta r_ext_multitexture "1"
seta r_allowSoftwareGL "1"
to allow quake to use s/w-only mesa. Hacking the pixel descriptions in
report accelerated opengl and not having this setting does not help
With the same settings and the opengl for my tnt-card, it does use
What I find weird is that the following is logged by quake on startup when
it comes to initialising the extension (this is for mesa v3.2):
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc not found
...GL_EXT_texture_env_add not found
...WGL_EXT_swap_control not found
...WGL_3DFX_gamma_control not found
Since the extension string that quake3 reports does include
I would at least have expected either "GL_ARB_multitexture not found" or
"ignoring GL_ARB_multitexture", but it reports neither (for comparison:
when using the tnt opengl, quake3 nicely reports "using
From what I can see in the opengl calls that quake3 issues to the h/w
I get the calls in which quake determines the pixelformat, then it creates
context and queries the vendor, renderer and version strings. Then it
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB and after that
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE. When I run thge s/w mesa, I get all of those calls,
except for the GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB query, which means
quake3 decides to not use multitexturing based on its settings, the pixel
format, and the extensions string.
I was just hoping someone would have experienced similar problems and
would have found a way out already.