Position Opening: Senior Software Infrastructure Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to work with large-scale library server applications and participate in cutting-edge digital repository development at a major university.
Position reports to the Head of Library Technology Enterprise Systems and works in a highly collaborative environment with library colleagues and external partners on the analysis, design, coding and testing of differently functioning systems in support of the Library's enterprise applications. The position also works with library colleagues and external partners on digital repository development, digital preservation, metadata, collections, and services development to explore, adapt, and implement emerging repository technologies.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: (See posting for additional info)
1. Designs, develops, implements, and maintains specifications and application code for library's enterprise systems, including the digital object repository;
2. Designs, writes, tests, and debugs code internal to systems as well as external workflow, ingestion, metadata, and other tools;
3. Ensures established data standards are supported for metadata management, business logic, digital preservation, data modeling and metadata workflow mgmt.;
4. Performs regular system maintenance for the library's enterprise systems;
5. Makes changes to the backend system in order to achieve proper performance;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (See posting for additional info)
1. Four - six years of development experience in an object-oriented environment;
2. Advanced web development experience w/languages such as Java, PHP, Perl, or Visual Basic and frameworks/standards such as JMS, Spring, or Hibernate;
4. Experience with MySQL or Oracle on enterprise level systems;
5. Knowledge of web server software including Apache and Tomcat;
6. Administration of applications running on Linux servers, including shell scripting;
7. Strong organizational, analytical, verbal/written communication skills;
8. BS in Computer Science, Information Science, or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
9. Experience designing, developing, and implementing multiple software applications;
10. Experience with Library IT or IT in a higher education environment.
Visit Northwestern University's Jobs web site at:
<http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/jobs/> Reference Job Opening ID # 15393