Just for the record, I think I've now confirmed the bug.
I'm not personally interested in fixing it right now, but I was
wondering if we should be reporting these on the tracker?
On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Kurtis Heimerl
> I'm trying to confirm a bug in 2.8. Right now, I can't get a phone to
> receive a call. They can call in to the PBX, but any call originating
> in the PBX is hung up on something (100 Trying is sent and then
> nothing). This is tested with both FreeSwitch and Asterisk on my home
> dev box. I also don't see anything interesting in the logs.
> I discovered this while testing for a patch I just submitted deal
> (r2389) with some SIP bugs... but I rolled back to r2388 and see the
> same behavior. I think this (hopefully) resolved me of guilt, but I
> haven't seen many recent patches, so it's generally very strange. I
> was hoping someone could confirm the bug if it's there, or show me
> that it's somehow my configuration.