I too have had some recent problems with mod_webkit. It's a long story:
Our original configuration was:
A) Apache 1.3.X / mod_webkit running on Debian Sarge communicating with
WebKit on Windows 2000.
This configuration worked fine.
However, we needed to replace the Windows server, and we chose to replace it
with a Windows 2003 server. So our new configuration was:
B) Apache 1.3.X / mod_webkit running on Debian Sarge communicating with
WebKit on Windows 2003.
In this configuration, all responses longer than 8K got truncated, so this
was unusable. I was never able to figure out which component was causing
the truncation. The next thing we tried was:
C) Apache 2.0.X / mod_webkit2 running on Debian Sarge communicating with
WebKit on Windows 2003.
This configuration at first seemed to work OK, but then we noticed
occasional malfunctions -- HTTP headers showing up in the body of a
response, occasional timeouts in mod_webkit2 attempting to connect to the
appserver, and so forth. These problems also happened when we used Windows
2000 instead of 2003, so that points to a buggy mod_webkit2. Finally we
decided to try abandoning mod_webkit entirely:
D) Apache 1.3.X / mod_rewrite / mod_proxy running on Debian Sarge
communicating with WebKit on Windows 2003 using HTTP
This configuration has been working great for over a month. For us, using
the native HTTP server in WebKit via proxying has proven to be very robust
-- much more so than mod_webkit. The only drawback is that we lose the
"queue up requests and retry" functionality in mod_webkit that is helpful
when you need to restart the appserver, but we hardly ever restart the
Based on this recent experience, I would lkean toward recommend the native
HTTP server via proxying as the "standard" deployment mechanism. However, I
should note that we had no problems with configuration A at all -- the
problems only started when we moved the WebKit appserver to Windows 2003.
However, my gut feeling is that change to Win2003 probably exposed a latent
bug in mod_webkit rather than some sort of bug in Windows 2003 or in WebKit
(Another reason to prefer using HTTP proxying is that the C code in
mod_webkit and mod_webkit2 is difficult to comprehend, I have no way to tell
if the Apache API's are being used correctly, and would have a tough time
fixing bugs. I feel confident that the HTTP proxying functionality of
Apache is very well battle-tested, and if the HTTP server functionality in
WebKit were to be found to be buggy, I'd have a much easier time fixing it
since it's pure Python.)