> A friend of mine found that setting german (or any language) doesn't
> work since he updated to Squirrelmail 1.4.3a. I did some checking in the
> source code and found that the setlocale call fails with the string
> "de_DE.ISO8859-1", it works with either "de_DE" or "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
> from another message from the mail archive I gathered that the behaviour
> of the longlocale string was changed in 1.4.3, so I used de_DE and then
> the language worked.
> The system is SuSE 81 with glibc 2.2.5
The code was added because FreeBSD requires full locale name without hyphen after 'iso'. Linux was tested on Debian Woody (glibc 2.1.3) and Sarge (2.3.2). gettext translations worked when hyphen was present and when it was missing. debian fixed something and forgot to submit it to glibc developers or suse patches/packaging broke something in glibc. On Suse 9.1 locales are listed without hyphens. I don't have suse 8.1 systems available and can't check output of 'locale -a'.
I will add code that tries to revert to short locale name, if full name returns errors.