Apologies for the cross-posting -
The metadata projects below were identified by the community survey on improving metadata support (https://wiki.duraspace.org/download/attachments/30217377/Metadata+Support+Survey+Final.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1328709175068) which was authored by the DSpace Community Advisory Team (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DSpace+Community+Advisory+Team) at the request of the DSpace Committers/Developers.
Working with a few committers, DCAT has summarized and interpreted the information gathered from the survey, establishing the project priority as well as estimating the level of effort required (see wiki links below for more detail). To move forward each project needs to have interested volunteers to define requirements and work on writing the code. Project teams would benefit greatly by having metadata experts or repository managers clearly identifying what needs to be changed/updated/describe how it should work. If any of the projects are of interest to you, please identify yourself as a volunteer for the project in the "Comment" section on the appropriate wiki project page.
In addition, any DSpace community members should feel free to add more detailed explanation/examples to further flesh out the changes/requirements they would like to see on any of the project pages.
METADATA PROJECTS (under Development Proposal wiki page https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+Proposals)
1) Updating the Qualified Dublin Core registry in DSpace to the latest standards of the DCMI
2) Standardizing the default namespaces
3) Adding metadata authority controls/vocabularies to the data model
4) Moving metadata related configurations from dspace.cfg to the database
5) Develop support for additional metadata standards (use the "Other" field to specify which standards)
6) Improved (or more transparent) flexibility
7) Enhancing the metadata available for Communities, Collections and Files (bitstreams)
Sent on behalf of DCAT
Director of Community Programs