On Apr 16, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Krzysztof Kosiński wrote:
> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>> So you've masked a symptom by layering on workarounds. However you
>> did not actually fix a bug, and introduced several regressions and
>> additional bugs.
> That can actually be said of the code I removed. It was a very
> wokraround for something that should be fixed properly (by
> properly, I mean
> in much fewer lines of code). I did not introduce any workarounds.
> I have
> also isolated the tiling bug and will commit a fix in a few hours.
OK. To clarify you did address some issues in the legacy Sodipodi
icon parts. That was good. Thanks.
However, you undid three critical pieces of code that are used when
icons.svg is involved. Now I know you wanted to remove that, but
there are many reasons to keep it. Key among those are that using
icons.svg does *not* prevent the use of stand-alone themes that you
like, and that it makes for a safety fallback for when something when
a theme does not have all of the latest and greatest. Oh, and we have
users with custom icons.svg files other than the ones we ship,
including some that users have done for accessibility reasons (aka
there are people with visual handicaps and custom icons.svg files
that *need* them to be able to use Inkscape)
The three key functional code areas removed were:
* Legacy name fallback. Among other things this allows users to have
more than a single version of Inkscape installed on one system.
Although you might not leverage this, many people (including myself)
do. I have two or three different simultaneous installs on each of my
two main dev boxes.
* 'smart' size caching. GTK+ themes can change on the fly, including
*during* program start up. We have that scenario with our app (see
the first sample in my mail "Two icon issues" for a sample). For
certain icons and in certain scenarios this manifests as very tricky
* Background rendering of icons. I was asked a while back to add this
feature. You don't miss it when you run with your themes, but when
the internal rendering is used it really slows down the UI. It also
slows initial appearance of menus the first time they are hit, and
thus presents the user with a very negative "sluggish feel" when they
first try the UI.
I do understand that the files involved have a lot of messy code that
has accumulated over the years. I'm finally at the point where I
have time to updated some wiki documentation on this (taxes, work
crunch, submitting papers for LinuxCon, coordinating for GSoC and
tracking down problems to keep students from being disqualified,
etc), so look for updates to appear there. I'll be sure to include
some info on how to tell what was new functionality and what is
Also, it is *very* helpful if you can take the time to stop in the
chat room (irc or jabber) and communicate with some of the other devs.
In general there is one bit of advice I can give. If you have someone
report a bug, you really need to reproduce it locally before
committing code fixes for them. Otherwise it's hard to know you're
actually fixing the right issue. I think the blurry icon issue is one