In svn 7298 I changed a key chunk of code that was working fine, so I
would like to explain why I fixed it when it wasn't broken, and ask for
review and testing, or at least keeping your eyes open for anything I
may have overlooked.
In the course of making the very simple change to support scalar
arguments to plot (for plotting a single symbol), I found, as I have
many times before, that the argument handling was rather complex,
repetitive, and hard to follow. I couldn't resist seeing if I could
simplify it, in the hope that this would make it easier to maintain.
The result is a reduction in LOC and a codepath that to my eye, at
least, is easier to follow.