On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Giel van Schijndel <me@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm currently in the process of developing a more useful
> exceptionhandler for our project (Warzone 2100 ). I'm basically
> taking exchndl.c from Dr. MinGW's exception handling DLL (exchndl.dll)
> and will extend that further where necessary.
> I've started work on this by first trying to compile exchndl.c without
> modifications and linking it statically into the project.
> At first compiling failed due to what, according to some Googling, was a
> misplaced parenthesis. This was fixed easily enough . (Google was
> faster than manually trying to find out all of the types of every struct
> member involved).
> I then got linker errors when linking with libbfd because of two missing
> symbols: bfd_get_section_size_before_reloc and
> bfd_get_section_size_after_reloc. In these same threads I found for the
> above compiler error I also found a simple fix .
> Now I could get exchndl.c to compile and link fine with the libbfd and
> libiberty shipped with MinGW.
> However, when I inserted some test code to trigger segfaults:
> > int* i = 0; *i = 27;
> I discovered that my self-compiled failed to extract symbols for the
> generated stack dump. This unlike the precompiled exchndl.dll that is
> shipped with mingw-utils 0.3 which does this successfully. Compiling
> exchndl.c as a DLL had the same results as linking statically (i.e. no
> symbols in the stack trace).
> After yet some more Googling I found a thread on this mailing list which
> seems to deal with the same issue (i.e. the symptoms are the same at
> least) .
> Like his case I traced the problem to the function
> find_address_in_section in exchndl.c. Unlike his case, however, I
> discovered that in my case bfd_find_nearest_line never even got called.
> In my case the function already returned on this if-statement:
> > if (info->pc >= vma + (size = bfd_get_section_size_before_reloc
> > return;
> Apparently __all__ return addresses on the stack are larger than (vma +
> size). Which lead me to look at vma's value, which apparently __always__
> is zero (vma = 0) for me. Then after scanning the BFD documentation I
> found out that the vma represents the virtual memory's base address.
> This obviously shouldn't be zero on any modern OS, thus I assume
> something went wrong in computing this vma.
> The precompiled DLL, however, __does__ work, thus I would like to know
> if and how this DLL is different from the source code provided. Aside
> from that the only thing I can think of is that the versions of libbfd
> that DLL has been linked against and the version I am using to link to
> (version shipped with the MinGW-5.1.3 installer) might differ. This
> would also explain the above mentioned linker errors.
I ran into similar issues when trying to make some tweaks to exchndl.c to
add dll version information.
It has been a while since I did this and I don't remember exactly what I
did, but my modified exchndl.c is available here:
http://pidgin.im/~datallah/exchndl.c. A diff against the file in
mingw-utils-0.2 reveals that I switched it to use bfd_get_section_size()
instead of bfd_get_section_size_before_reloc(), but I really don't recall
IIRC, I was using headers and import libraries from the
"binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1" package, if that helps.