Dear Gnutella fans,
Finally, at last, gtk-gnutella reaches version number 1.0.
Some will say it was long due, others will say it's just a version number.
Regardless, this new release is an important milestone because it is the
last version that will be mono-threaded. Future releases will use a new
runtime that will allow multiple threads to run concurrently, to be able
to exploit common multi-core systems nowadays.
Hence, 1.0 to signal that this is the last mono-threaded release... :-)
In the forthcoming weeks, I'm going to brainstorm on #gtk-gnutella (at
irc.freenode.net) about what to do next for the future releases. Which
direction to go? How can we exploit the solid GTKG core to do even greater
Given the limited manpower available on the project currently, I want to be
able to focus on what is important, strategically important. You are all
welcome to join on the IRC channel, during the evenings in Europe...
Here is the changelog of the release. As usual, I hope you will enjoy
using gtk-gnutella as much as we enjoy developing it and bringing it to you.
# v 1.0.0 2013-09-01 [stable]
This is a major release correcting a few bugs and adding small but interesting
features such as the ability to limit dropping of received UDP messages,
making the DHT keys and values persistent across sessions, SDBM file
auto-compaction at startup, and last but not least, rarest-chunk downloading
to optimize download efficiency when facing partial sources.
- Let users define a maximum lease time for UPnP and NAT-PMP mappings.
- Made DHT keys and values persistent across sessions.
- When there are partial sources for a file, download the rarest chunks first.
- [GTK1] Optimize massive updating of the download source list.
- [GTK] Dynamically update the list of available chunks in the file (blue line).
- Files used to persist information across sessions are now auto-compacted.
- The UPnP layer can now monitor more types of Internet Gateway Devices.
- After unclean shutdown, rename existing core file in crash directory.
- Detect servers that choke when receiving pipelined HTTP requests.
- Added the Mersenne Twister Pseudo-Random Number Generator.
- Remember when user requests an auto-restart, to keep the same session going.
- Increased maximum download buffer size to 1 MiB and default to 128 KiB.
- [GTK2] Set height of the pref/upload window (paths to files) to 100 pixels.
- [GTK1] Fixed wrong enum value usage (c_fi_sources instead of c_src_num).
- [GTK] Download source details were incorrect sometimes for queued downloads.
- [GTK] Reserve display of partial file indication (PFS) to partial sources.
- DHT traffic accounting was broken when semi-reliable UDP was introduced.
- Was wrongly keeping orphan DHT contacts and removing alive ones!
- Fixed wrong restarting DB key computation for DHT values (preventing crashes).
- Fixed improper "good" alt-loc flagging from uploaders, leading to wrong mesh.
- Fixed English typos in comments and user-visible messages.
- Avoid selecting the magic fw-fw file index for partial files in query hits.
- Fixed wrong propagation of duplicate messages with higher TTL.
Under the Hood:
- Fixed posix_memalign() so that we can now run with glib 2.36 and upwards.
- [GTK] Update available ranges when the core sends a "range changed" event.
- Added UDP datagram read-ahead to minimize local kernel drops (RX queue full).
- Added UDP read-ahead statistics.
- Ensure "DHT values" and "DHT raw data" SDBM files are consistently reloaded.
- Fixed omalloc() memory usage accounting.
- str_at(): fixed harmful typo causing it to seg-fault with negative offsets.
- Do not send X-Features / X-Token on follow-up HTTP requests.
- upnp_dscv_probed(): plugged memory leak.
- UPNP: extract the Service Control Protocol Definition (SCPD) URL.
- UPNP: monitor gateway with GetStatusInfo() if no GetTotalPacketsReceived().
- Some UPnP devices can advertize an API and yet return 401 (action invalid).
- bigkey_hash(): more robust in case we encounter a big key and support is off.
- udp_sched_write_error(): don't panic if we get an unexpected UDP write error.
- Jumbo patch: replaced most gm_[v]snprintf() with str_[v]bprintf() calls.
- Count truncated incoming UDP messages.
- http_got_header(): fixed harmful typo causing mishandling of chunked output.
- After 3 X-Nalt reports, move source from download mesh to the banned mesh.
- Leave banned entries in the bad mesh for at least 5 minutes.
- cq_free(): release mutex to prevent loud warning a shutdown time.
- When the the crash handler child fails, append decorated stack from parent.
- download_data_received(): extend fileinfo when file size is unknown.
- Moved HTTP range parsing / handling from core to library (re-architectured).
- Benchmark sorting routines at startup and select the most efficient.
- socket_udp_flush_timer(): do not process queued datagrams during shutdown.
- Make rand31() more random, especially on the low-order bits.
- Added computation of chi-squared cumulative distributions.
- Made entropy_random() 5 times faster on average.
- Prefer random_value() over random_u32() followed by bit masking.
- The random layer now uses the Mersenne Twister, excepted for random_bytes().
- hash_keyset_lookup(): was not always spotting first tomb correctly.
- Let small hash tables be denser than larger ones.
- Tweaked hash tables and derivatives for smaller memory footprint.
- guess_pmsg_free(): make sure pool does not contain host before adding it back.
- http_send_status(): was not properly detecting too large HTTP headers.
- Semi-reliable RX UDP: re-ack everything well before the whole message expires.
- Adjust maximum DHT value count per IP/network dynamically with DHT size.
- Be careful when truncating body on an HTTP kept-alive connection.
- ensure_unicity(): assume pidfile is locked when lock owner bears our PID.
- Added protection when writing important files on filesystems like "ext4".
- PARQ: accept to move an upload to the "dead" queue even if we wait for QUEUE.
- Made GTK2 the default GTK version since GTK1 is not 64-bit safe.