I did finally manage to install different versions of playerstage on the same
player-1.6.5 and stage-2.0.0a was installed in /usr and working fine, i wanted
to see player-2.0.1
if i install player-2.0.1 and stage-2.0.1 in my home directory
(with ./configure --prefix=~/somewhere) an "undefined symbol" error appears
this was caused by the libstageplugin library that was linked against the old
libstage.so in /usr/lib
then i moved libstage* from /usr/lib to a temporary dir.
my prefix was /home/marco/robotica/ps2,so i defined some environment variables
in a text file called "var"
befor configure, make install, and running playerstage, i write
$ source var
and everything works fine.
I hope this helps.
when i installed player for the first time, i made a lot of mess with
player2.0.0a , that was giving compilation errors and headhaches.
THEN i found the "release note" on sourceforge telling: "this is a development
release not intended for use"
maybe others like me, did not read the release notes, maybe your hard time
installing player/stage was caused by this.
the golden rule: RTFM, includes the release notes too :)