ROX-Filer 2.3 has been released!
I'm using a new version numbering scheme. Each new release is initially
a 'testing' release. If there are no serious bugs, then it becomes the
'stable' release after a couple of weeks. Therefore, there are no longer
separate stable/developer branches.
- If you got ROX-Filer using the injector:
$ rox --versions
Click on 'Refresh all now'
Ensure 'Help test new versions' is selected.
- If you didn't use the injector before, but you'd like to try it, see:
- If using the zero install filesystem:
$ 0refresh rox.sourceforge.net
- People not using either system can download it from here instead:
Changes since ROX-Filer 2.2.0:
- Added a button for configuring video thumbnails (with Stephen Watson's
VideoThumbnail application) to the Options window (Thomas Leonard).
Right-clicking on the launcher button shows available versions.
- Added option to only show iconified windows belonging to the current
workspace (Tom Morton).
- Added option to allow vertical ordering when laying out the icon view
- When using the drag-and-drop menu, give the choice of creating relative or
absolute symlinks. For Ctrl-Shift-Drag, always make relative links rather
than absolute ones (Thomas Leonard; requested by Peter Prohaska).
- Change over from CHOICESPATH to XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
- Make tab completion in the minibuffer case insensitive (Jonatan
- Add 'Customise Menu...' to New submenu (Thomas Leonard, suggested by Jesse
- When building the SendTo menu, allow nested subdirectories more than one
level deep (Jonatan Liljedahl).
- Option in list view to show the full MIME-Type comment rather than just
"File" (Stephen Watson).
- Selecting an entry from the bookmarks menu can open a new window,
depending on the mouse button used and the 'New window on button 1'
setting (Stephen Watson).
- Panel side is now stored with the panel file, and is reused on start-up if
you use --border in place of the old --top, --bottom, --left and --right
(which still work). The panel menu has a new 'Panel Options...' choice to
let you change which edge to use (Thomas Leonard).
- Entering ~ as the first character in the Goto: entry goes to the users
home directory (Stephen Watson, suggested by james).
- Change the way that ROX-Session runs ROX-Filer. It now uses the -S option
to open the default Panel and Pinboard, with the configuration of panel
and pinboard in ROX-Filer options (Stephen Watson).
- Copied xdgmime library into the filer, so we don't need gnomevfs just to
do MIME guessing from file contents (Guido Schimmels).
- Mark files as executable if their MIME type is a subclass of
application/x-executable (Thomas Leonard).
- Added icon for messages/* MIME types (Thomas Leonard).
- Improvements for file type guessing (Thomas Leonard):
- When getting the type for a symlink, we need the absolute path now that
we check file contents.
- Also check for extended attributes for the symlink target.
- Removed all of our code for guessing types from file names, since it
duplicates the new xdgmime code.
- Files with control characters are now considered to be binary, even
though they may be valid UTF-8.
- Executable files of unknown type are now marked as executable, not
- When complaining that there is no run action for an executable type,
give the user a hint about setting the execute permission.
- Refreshing the MIME system also refreshes xdgmime.
- An executable text file of unknown type is marked as executable if its
name doesn't contain a '.'. This is so that 'readme.txt' on a filesystem
with all execute bits set is seen as text, but a shell script with no
extension or interpreter header still shows up as an executable on Solaris
(Thomas Leonard; requested by Stephen Watson).
- At install time, add a rule to the MIME database that shell scripts are
executable, as the defaults are missing this (Thomas Leonard; reported by
- In the properties box, don't say that the run action is executable just
because the MIME type is executable. The execute bit must be set too
- Replaced the text the Options box telling people to download and run
MIME-Editor with a button that actually does it (Thomas Leonard).
Right-clicking on the launcher button shows available versions.
- Check for shared-mime-info 0.16 when building (Stephen Watson).
- Split Mount SOAP operation into separate Mount and Unmount operations
- Can specify panel item arguments and short cut when adding via SOAP call
- Also for pinboard items (and fixed bugs related to pinboard_add_with_args)
- Fixed missing argument in remote.c (Pär Forsling).
- Removed copy of GTK icon theme system. We now depend on GTK 2.4, which
includes it (Thomas Leonard).
- World-writable directories can't be app dirs (Thomas Leonard).
- Don't show Help menu item for applications with no Help subdirectory
- Renamed Python MIME icon to keep up with freedesktop.org's current
thinking in the endless text vs application war (Thomas Leonard).
- Removed custom platform detection (which was designed to allow a single
copy of ROX-Filer to contain binaries for multiple platforms). Let the
packaging system deal with it (Thomas Leonard).
- If we can't find getopt_long, try looking in libgnugetopt (Stephen
- Progress bar for count operation didn't finish when the count did
(Stephen Watson, reported by Alexander Wagner).
- Simplify code to set minibuffer text to red on error (Dennis). Also set
background to white, in case a theme's colour clashes with red (Thomas
- Defer re-generating a thumbnail until 5 seconds after the timestamp on the
old one (Stephen Watson).
- A file could be added many times to the thumbnail queue, causing the
progress bar to behave strangely (Stephen Watson).
- More changes for installing onto NFS mounted directory (Stephen Watson).
- Fixed a compiler warning by removing an unnecessary extra tooltips object
- Look out for new line character when reading EA MIME type under Solaris
- Replacing an existing display settings would erase all the other existing
settings (Stephen Watson, reported by Henrik Jacobsson).
- Expired thumbnails were not being purged from the memory cache because of
a reference counting issue (Stephen Watson).
- Tests whether dnotify_wakeup_flag is set instead of dnotify_wakeup which
is a function address (Tony Houghton).
- Detect GCC 4 and disable pointer signedness warnings (Thomas Leonard).
- Ultimate++ could crash the filer when its window was iconified (Guido
- Added some missing gdk_event_free() calls (Thomas Leonard).
- In vertical ordering mode, the blank space after all the items acted as if
there were icons there (reported by Arnaud Calvo).
- Don't abort on BadWindow errors. GTK bug #152151 is still not fixed after
nearly a year, so give up trying to fix it and just ignore it (Thomas
Leonard; suggested by Kacper Wysock).
- GTK bug #152151 also causes BadDrawable errors so ignore them as well
- Type changes for 64-bit compatibility (Tony Houghton).
- Provide alternate to_html.xsl file for different location of Docbook
stylesheets (Stephen Watson).
- Broke get_xdg_data_dirs while writing choices_list_xdg_dirs (Stephen
Watson, reported by Pär Forsling).
- Opening a new filer window with a key press warped the pointer to the
top-left of the screen (Matthew Weier O'Phinney and Thomas Leonard).
- Clicking on a directory which was mounted but shown as unmounted, due to
the display being out-of-date, tried to unmount it (Thomas Leonard,
reported by Mephistopheles Jones as bug #1007402).
- Removed AC_PATH_X, which stopped configure working on Mac OS X (Thomas
Leonard; reported by Tristan McLeay). We already had AC_PATH_XTRA anyway.
- Fixed error in tooltip in bulk rename box (Vincent Lefèvre).
- Added Estonian translation (Teet Tärno).
- Added Basque transation (Piarres Beobide).
- Updated French translation (Vincent Lefèvre).
- Updated Danish translation (Christian Storgaard).
- Updated Chinese translation (Babyfai Cheung).
- Updated Dutch translation (Jan Wagemakers).
- Updated French manual translation (Arnaud Calvo).
- The help for the "Set Type..." box wasn't translated (reported by Yuri
- Renamed 'Before' and 'After' in the bulk rename box to 'Old name' and 'New
name', as they were causing problems for translators (reported by Yuri
Dr Thomas Leonard http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6 8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1