Those are good questions that a lot of people might
Concerning the access permissions on WinNT: if you know some way
I can read these files, please let me know. Apparently WinNT has
some sort of exclusive lock that blocks even read-only access to
the files. If there is some way around it, I'll be happy to fix
the code, but at the present time, I don't know how.
Concerning the ' in the path. This is a bug that I introduced
between version 1.27 and 1.28. I'll attach the quote patch
to this email -- if I am not mistaken, I sent it in a previous
mail, but that points out the need to have some sort of patch
repository -- I'll look into it. By the way, I was very tempted
to make a release 1.28c with this patch included, but
decided against it for fear of having too many releases.
Any comments from you or anyone else on what you prefer
patches or release would be helpful.
Concerning the fact that the SD will not accept the tape:
The problem is that the number of files on the tape do not
agree with what is in the catalog. It is not always safe
simply to change them as you may in some cases lose some
data, as a consequence the SD simply refuses to write on
the tape. The simplest and best solution is to use a
different tape. The next best is to "purge" the tape,
and make sure it is marked for recycle, then Bacula
will reuse it.
I've done several things to make Bacula more flexible.
Both will be available in 1.29:
1. When the SD is terminating (e.g. from a cancel), it
attempts to set the proper file position. This now
works much better than before, but obviously won't
help for a Director crash.
2. In the current version 1.29 in the CVS I've added
a new option to the Console 'update' command that
permits resetting the VolFiles variable in the
database. However, I consider this somewhat dangerous.
Again, on recovering from "oops" situations like this,
I have for the default taken the conservative approach
to ensure that no data is ever lost. I'm now in the process
of improving the recovery techniques, and have provided
a way to shoot oneself in the foot (with warning
I'll take another look at opening Windows files to see
if there isn't some magic incantation that allows read-only
PS: Apply the quote.patch to version 1.27b with
patch -p0 <quote.patch
On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 04:16, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I just did my first WinBacula test runs, and ran into trouble. A small
> test backup of c:/Bacula worked perfectly, so I tried to back up c:/ and
> hit problems. First of all, I got access permissions problems on a
> bunch of files:
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/Alaric/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat: ERR=Permission denied.
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/Alaric/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat.LOG: ERR=Permission denied.
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/Alaric/NTUSER.DAT: ERR=Permission denied.
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/Alaric/ntuser.dat.LOG: ERR=Permission denied.
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/All Users.WINNT/Application Data/Microsoft/Network/Downloader/qmgr0.dat: ERR=Permission denied.
> whitestar-fd: Cannot open c:/Documents and Settings/All Users.WINNT/Application Data/Microsoft/Network/Downloader/qmgr1.dat: ERR=Permission denied.
> Surely this shouldn't happen for LocalSystem?
> Continuing on from there, Bacula-1.28a appears to have problems with
> filenames containing ' characters coming from win32 file daemons:
> babylon5-dir: Fatal error: sql_create.c:561 sql_create.c:561 insert INSERT INTO Path (Path) VALUES ('c:/Documents and Settings/All Users.WINNT/Start Menu/Programs/Games/Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/') failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's Alpha Centauri/')' at line 1
> babylon5-dir: Error: sql_create.c:563 Create db Path record INSERT INTO Path (Path) VALUES ('c:/Documents and Settings/All Users.WINNT/Start Menu/Programs/Games/Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/') failed. ERR=You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's Alpha Centauri/')' at line 1
> babylon5-dir: Error in sql_create.c:578 Failed ASSERT: ar->PathId
> babylon5-dir: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by signal 11: Segmentation violation
> So then after the director crashed, I stopped bacula, saved a few tweaks
> to the config files I'd been working on in the meantime, restarted
> bacula, and tried to run a smaller test job. However:
> babylon5-dir: Start Backup JobId 7, Job=Test.2003-01-14_22.05.57
> babylon5-sd: Volume VXAtape-0001 previously written, moving to end of data.
> babylon5-sd: Test.2003-01-14_22.05.57 Error: I canot write on this volume because:
> The number of files mismatch! Volume=6 Catalog=5
> So now I somehow need to repair this too. There's nothing crucial on
> the tape yet, it's all tests, but there needs to be a way to recover
> from "oops" events like this.